Polartec vs Thinsulate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to the undies discussion above, polypro long johns yes, cotton no. I seem to recall reading in Dick Long's book (DUI guy) that cotton was a big no no??? I think someone mentioned that cotton wicks away moisture very well. It might, but it has always left me cold. Found it.

Dick Long---"Cotton sweats saturate easily and will conduct heat rapidly away from the body when wet." AND "Polypropylene...can extend the range of your dry suit underwear by as much as 5 degrees...it will also help to wick moisture away from your body."

I have found these statements to be true so make sure your long johns are not cotton. In otherwords, cotton wicks but saturates more than polypro does. Ofcourse, if it's not hot outside and you are not a sweaty person this may not be a big deal.

LL bean has 100 gram polar fleece long johns for sale that can be added between your thicker fleece/thinsulate suit and your polypro long johns on really cold days witout having to add more than two pounds of weight to counter the extra bulk. I think I got them for about 30 bucks for both the top and bottom. Safe diving all!

Personally i am wondering how thick undies i really need for 1-1.5 hour cave dives (70F) or 1 hour boat dives (down to mid-60's in the dead of winter). Thinking polypro long johns with a 100/150/200 weight (thinsulate or fleece) would be more than enough and i am thinking of hitting the outdoor places to see what they have on offer!

I'd think that polypro (polypro actually sucks pretty bad.. polyester is far superior as a material to make long johns) plus 200 weight fleece would be adequate for what you need.. but 100gm Thinsulate would be better. DC's Stretch Thinsulate (non-extreme) might be just the ticket.

My wife was cold at Ginnie Springs with 200 fleece and polypro long johns after a one hour dive. I was nice and toasty in the same without a hood. Go figure. Ladies are usually colder. Let me restate that. Ladies usually get colder more easily. Hee hee. I always think it's better to have more than less, unless you over heat easily. I believe you would be okay in light fleece and some heavy polypro undies for cave diving. You could always add regular long johns between the two for a little more warmth. When cave diving, comfort and mobility become a concern too so make sure you have enough flexibilty to move around.

scubadobadoo:
My wife was cold at Ginnie Springs with 200 fleece and polypro long johns after a one hour dive. I was nice and toasty in the same without a hood. Go figure. Ladies are usually colder. Let me restate that. Ladies usually get colder more easily. Hee hee. I always think it's better to have more than less, unless you over heat easily. I believe you would be okay in light fleece and some heavy polypro undies for cave diving. You could always add regular long johns between the two for a little more warmth. When cave diving, comfort and mobility become a concern too so make sure you have enough flexibilty to move around.
Lets just say i dont get cold too quickly, i can do 1-1.5 in a 5mm, but i cant do the 20 mins in a pair of shorts like some peope i know can - and i am glad for it :wink:

Will check out polypro and polyester undies and work up from there, 100-200 fleece or thinsulate - then start searching for that elusive DS!! :wink:

I agree with jonnythan above. A stretchy/thin thinsulate would be awesome for cave diving. It might be pricey though. Also, as stated above many times, Softwear by Janice is great. I own both thinsulate and Softwear by Janice and like both. I use the softwear more because it is easy to clean and care for, again as stated above many times.

If you sweat alot, as cave divers do while gearing up in Florida where I grew up, then go with the fleece and consider custom fleece because fit is far more important than the actual material used. As for long john materials, almost anything is better than cotton.

Is polar fleece and thinsulate the same thing?

What are some good sources of thinsulate thermals? I came to the realization how good thinsulate was when duck hunting. The shell of my thinsulate gloves can be near frozen and wet and my hands will almost be sweating.

TwoBit

Fleece is very different from Thinsulate. I believe Cabela's sells hunting style Thinsulate undies, but Diving Concepts, Viking, and DUI are the big makers of Thinsulate undies for diving.

jonnythan:
Fleece is very different from Thinsulate. I believe Cabela's sells hunting style Thinsulate undies,

If they do, it isn't advertised as thinsulate. I havn't been able to find any on Cabelas, campmor, basspro, or gander mountain.

but Diving Concepts, Viking, and DUI are the big makers of Thinsulate undies for diving.

and me without any local dealers...

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom