Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am exploring what I want to do next year and the equipment that I will need. I was just wondering about pony bottles. I want to pair solo diving up with my AOW next spring and figure if I start diving with a pony now that will make things easier to focus on next year instead of worrying about new equipment and new skills.

do i need two second stages on a pony or one? And how would I attach a pony bottle to myself (I use DSS BPW) and how much should I be looking at spending on a setup? Any pointers or things to watch out for would be great to hear! :)

Cheers!

Generally one second stage.

Lower tank band: Inner tube. Hose clamp. Cord. Bolt snap.
Hose management: slice of trailer inner tube around the cylinder have your reg ready to deploy. Or some guys dive with it around your neck on a bungee.

Upper neck snap: cord loop. Bolt snap.

A loop of bungee from BP to tank valve can keep it from dangling.

You can sling a little 19cube or a more useful 40, 63 or another 80 if you don't mind a little extra drag.

Best if a local guy can show you how to dive it. Plenty of options for sale as well if you don't want the innertube hose clamp option.

Careful with task loading and enjoy your diving.

Regards.
Cameron

Last edited:
don't believe in pony bottles, but the best way to rig them is identical to a DIR style stage/deco bottle and sling it. Only difference is since you don't plan on using it, you can go away from the standard SPG and use a button gauge.

echoing somewhat what @northernone said above, an AL40 won't really have any more drag than a 19, but is actually less negative in the water which is ideal for trim. It is also useful for a deco bottle of you decide to do that.

60's are idiotic to use as pony's because they are too negative and you'll roll over from them, 63's are less dumb, but if you're going to dive a 7.25" diameter pony, you may as well use an AL80 which is more versatile, has the same profile, better buoyancy characteristics, and no more drag. If you're diving an AL80 pony bottle, just dive doubles....

Best if a local guy can show you how to dive it. Plenty of options for sale as well if you don't want the innertube hose clamp option.

+1 for Cameron's suggestion. Indeed, slinging the bottle on your harness D-rings is the best way to go. It's actually a super easy set up, but one that is better seen in person. I can imagine that if I didn't know how to do it, trying to follow written instructions would be difficult.

How to rig a pony bottle?
Why don't you believe in pony's? just curious.

Similar thread and it was only a couple weeks ago that it was posted.... two sides of this coin; one side (tbone's side) is that there should never be a reason where you require them. In a OOA you would have your buddies air (and I guess in worst case scenario CESA). It gives the user a false sense of security and can lead to more issues then it solves. (obviously summed up and sorry Tbone for generalizing, I am sure you also have your own particular reasons)

Other side; do what you wants, don't use it for gas planning but bring it around for redundant air source so that in an event you have no buddy you can breath.. yada yada - do what you want I guess.

Every one dives in a different set of conditions and sometimes you are "buddied" up with a complete stranger. I don't have one - but I am not against it either.

How to rig a pony bottle?

Similar thread and it was only a couple weeks ago that it was posted.... two sides of this coin; one side (tbone's side) is that there should never be a reason where you require them. In a OOA you would have your buddies air (and I guess in worst case scenario CESA). It gives the user a false sense of security and can lead to more issues then it solves. (obviously summed up and sorry Tbone for generalizing, I am sure you also have your own particular reasons)

I don't know what "false sense of security" they talk about. A properly sized pony does offer an independent alternate source of air for the, perhaps, once in a lifetime unpredictable and unexpected situation where one is OOA. Being OOA is a result of something else that happened during the dive that made the diver go OOA in addition to pure carelessness. There are times where the totally unexpected happens and the person spends much longer time U/W dealing with it that he consumes his gas outside the restrictions of his plan and for him to be OOA. One can imagine many scenarios where their exit/ascent to the surface to end the dive before they are OOA is grossly delayed and they will require the use of an alternate independent source of Air. CESA deals with only one scenario/possibility for OOA that is among MANY other scenarios and possibilities for OOA and so is buddy assisted OOA situation. CESA success is predicated on the assumption that the diver is free to go up and do his CESA. This assumption is grossly optimistic and simplistic in my view and doesn't take into account that the reason for OOA has to do with the diver being stuck underwater for any reason and is actually unable to make any type of ascent, CESA or anything else.

I plan my dives as if I am diving alone even if I am diving with a buddy and this includes OOA situations.

basically what they said above. I sit firmly in the camp of "rely on your buddy because that is what you trained and planned for", if you don't want to/can't rely on your buddy, dive doubles, sidemount, etc. Yes they're bigger/heavier, but it's the same amount of equipment to carry around total, and you don't have to swap tanks out, nor do you have a finite amount of time. My biggest issue with pony's is most people that I have been around use pony's that are way too small. I would not dive a pony smaller than an al30, ideally an AL40 because of the buoyancy characteristics, but 30 is the bare minimum for me to be comfortable with a completely normal ascent. "oops, my first stage exploded, oh well, I'll switch to pony and just call my dive from here and if I see something cool on the ascent, I can stop for a minute and look at it without worrying". If I'm going through the hassle of doing that, I would rather dive doubles where I don't have something clanging around on my left side etc.

Now, if you use a 30 or 40 pony and plan on getting into deco diving eventually, it gives you experience with diving around with an O2 bottle since that will be the same setup later, and I have no problem with it being filled with air or nitrox or whatever if it is in anticipation of carrying it as a deco bottle. I just don't believe in pony bottles when I find doubles easier and better to dive than singles to begin with, especially singles with a slung bottle.

The OP said this is for solo diving. A pony when solo is a good idea and will be required for his solo class.

Whether one believes in pony bottles or unicorns or not, for the SDI Solo certification you will need one. That is a pony bottle, unicorns, not so much.

N

Back
Top Bottom