Poor's man mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, you all can tell me all sort of insults, but here am I.
Someone gave me a Mares Wahoo mask that had both strap hangers (I don't know the right name) broken. Those hangers are part of the silicone skirt of the mask. A terrible design.
mares-wahoo-snorkeling-mask.jpg

The mask was useless. The right place for it was the garbage bin. The mask was almost new. It deserved a second chance.
I couldn't resist a try. Imagine => drawing => CAD => 3Dprinter
Some drops of E6000 and a new neoprene strap. Back to work. Already 3 pool sessions and still there.

IMG_8968.JPG

The added parts are almost invisible from inside.

Yes, you all can tell me all sort of insults, but here am I.

What d'ya think you are, some kind of Wahoo? I admire your efforts. I hate throwing things away more as I get older. What material did you print with? I don't know much about printing, but it seems like there are endless interesting things to do with them.

Any noticeable difference in comfort?

What d'ya think you are, some kind of Wahoo? I admire your efforts. I hate throwing things away more as I get older. What material did you print with? I don't know much about printing, but it seems like there are endless interesting things to do with them.

Any noticeable difference in comfort?
I hate throwing things that can be saved. I print with PETG filament. It has a good interlayer bond. The mask has a good comfort and fits perfect with my face. I didn't use it when it was new. It was given to me already broken.

I'm not alone.
Several weeks ago, another dive instructor came to me asking if something could be done with a couple of masks he uses for pool courses.
You know, if it can be repaired, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

QNXU4617.JPGIMG_8946.JPGIMG_8951.JPG

Nice work @emoreira

Now tell me how one goes about re-bonding the glass back into a frameless mask.

Nice work @emoreira

Now tell me how one goes about re-bonding the glass back into a frameless mask.
If you figure that out, you'll be a rich man!

1647348604778.png

Drill two holes in the plastic frame, make a loop of 100 lb fishing line, then run you mask straps through the loop. 5 minutes and free. Don't end up with a big piece of plastic sticking out that will snap off.

Back
Top Bottom