Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Poseidon Cyklon was the first single hose reg to have antifreeze protection; the 35 year old antifreeze cups are still interchangeable with the new issue, with the exception that the clamp has been replaced with zip ties. I still have 2 of them that are still happily humming along after 25+ years , with a lot of hard use thrown in.

The Jetstream/Odin have new mouthpieces now; they look like they'd be a little more comfy on folks with a smaller mouth.

VIKING USA has been the new wordwide distributor for Poseidon since 1 October & they're planning an advertising push for the first part of next year, so expect to see them in the magazines more & more, and they'll be showing up in more diveshops during 2002.

Rumor has it from reliable sources that there's a regular on this board that has a good supply of parts & even some new regs tucked away...
:wink:

thanks everyone for your opinions - good and bad.
Buff - I liked your response. My diving temps have been 40-62 degs in Lake Sup., and was 80 degs in Aruba - the Poseidons worked great either place. But with the majority (95%) of my dives in Lake Superior, I knew I needed a cold water reg. I had tried a Dacor and Sherwood (Blizzard) on my open waters, but like I say, been with the Jetstream ever since.

I got a price from Michelle at DiveInn - fantastic price compared to any I got from the States, and a bit better from a store in Southern Ontario. Jetstream and Jetstream Octo for about $400 USD. I just worry about warranty issues and having to send the reg back to Spain for servicing. But I've heard Apeks have thier own problems getting servicing too? :mean:

Scott,

I live in Marquette, but I spend a lot of my time in the Soo area (mostly diving Whitefish and the Straits). I dove on that plane a few years ago -- Beechcraft, right? Actually, we're doing a dive at the powerhouse in Soo Michigan in the next few days (buddy is trying out his new drysuit).

The Apeks regs will certainly take care of you in every environment IF you do your part in really cold water. You should tune the IP down a bit -- which takes 5 mins -- and you're good to go for ice diving. If you're only looking at diving in 40F water, I wouldn't hesitate buying an Apeks. We dive deep in Superior where bottom temps are 40F all summer, and the Apeks regs are awesome down there -- not even tuned down. For 40F water, we don't take any special precautions with the Apeks regs. When the temps get down to less than 36F is when you have think about what you're doing, and is when an Odin really shines bright.

The Odins certainly have their following up here, and I'm not really bashing them. They are the premier cold water reg on the market -- barr none. I don't like them, and I wouldn't use them for anything but continuous super cold water diving. IMO, 40F water isn't particulary cold for a dry sealed quality reg like an Apeks. Jeepers, they don't even tune down or seal the Scuba Pro's up here for 40F water :wink:.

I think you can beat $400 for an Odin w/octo, but you can blow that away for an Apeks DS4/TX50 w/TX40 octo too. I would advise having a warranty for the Odin, but I don't worry about it for the Apeks regs.

Take care.

Mike

PS. If you want to try an Apeks reg, let me know, and we'll go diving this week. The water is nice and cold now (38F or less), so you can have a good idea of what they can do. :)

That Yooper is pretty much on the mark.....usually.

I know of the place the Yoop would get the Apeks and he's right. But I would get the TX40 with DS4 first stage from DiveInn. I have the TX50(from diveinn) and I don't see the need for a tuning knob-unless you want something else to go wrong-though the probablity is plenty low why have an extra failure point to use the DIR lingo. The TX40 is plenty good.

As far as warranties in general Yoop and I agree-why??? I'll let him elaborate - I have to get back to vacuuming soon.

The Odin needs a warranty as much as the Apeks-not at all-that's where Yoop is wrong-sorry. With regards to service work I bet there are plenty of shops in the Ontario area that know the Poseidon subtleties. It you don't have one you can ship it to Michael Rainone in FL.-my regs are returning from him as we write this.

I think Yoop is right when it comes to price-Apeks are less expensive and that coupled with your lack of ice diving desire would lead to the Apeks. I HAVE BETRAYED YOU POSEIDON!!

Anyhow, I think you will be fine if you get either one. It's easy to get caught up in the "which one is best argument" when it comes to regs. It is rare for the reg. to be at fault in a dive mishap-especially one of the fine makes like Apeks or Poseidon-it's almost 100% diver error. Just get one and someday we'll both do some wreck diving with the Yooper and he'll teach us a thing or two. I haven't told Yooper that he's going to take me diving yet-even though he does bad mouth my Odin!!!!!!

P.S. DONT get the Poseidon Triton-it sucks-marketing gimick. Poseidon Cyclon is good too like Bob3 pointed out.

Mike

Buff,

I said "I would advise having a warranty for the Odin, but I don't worry about it for the Apeks regs". The reason I don't worry about Apeks warranties is because they are simple enough to fix, and I can get the parts dirt cheap. On top of that, they are among the most reputable regs for durability and long term reliability. I don't worry about yearly service for my regs because I know better. I don't have an Apeks dealer, for who knows how far, and I don't care. If it were to ever break badly, I'd it send out Fed X and have it fixed.
Odins are bit different, IMO, in that I have seen several break, or what not, and need to be sent back to the manufacturer. When Odins break, they can be very expensive to fix (at least they used to be). They have been known to have some creep problems that have to be dealt with sometimes. The Odins are much more finicky than regular regs, IMO. Odins used to have only a two year warranty anyway, for what that is worth. If you know how to fix 'em they're just like anything else, I guess. I'm really trying not to bash the Odins too much here -- they have their place. :)

The adjuster on the TX50 (or any other adjustable Apeks) doesn't pose any significant failure point that is worthy of consideration. It is critically important, especially for deep dives, that you have a very good breathing reg. Take a look at the WKPP who use the most anal appoach to failure point reduction, and you'll see them using adjustable Apeks seconds on DS4 firsts.

Consider yourselves invited anytime you want to come up. I have some dandy wrecks up here that will blow your mind. Don't expect much in the way of teachin', though. I ain't a teacher -- just a diver in a constant state of learning who likes to talk. If people like what I say, and dare take my words to heart, I say good luck to them. :D

Take care.

Mike

Scott

I wouldn't worry at all about servicing issues in Ontario. Odins appear to be quite popular up here, so there are some awsome Poseidon Techs around, and finding one is not hard.

As far as buying one in Ontario, for a comparison, I can email you the name of a shop that I have dealt with in the past, that used to sell them very competitively (although I haven't priced them in the last year or so).

Ok, ok , I think I get it. As far as cutting ice off the lake, getting 6 buddies, ropes and all the rest to do an actual "ice dive" - no - probably won't be doing much of that. As far as jumping into 40 deg water because I like when things shrivel up, yes, I will be doing quite a bit of that. Some people think its sick, maybe even a form of dimentia, but I call it diving.

So, what I get from you guys is that both are good regs - Apeks and Poseidon. Poseidon is the god at the extreme end for cold water diving and Apeks just a damn good reg in general. Now, not having tried an Apeks, I'm leaning towards the Poseidon, but damn, I'd like to try an Apeks.

Lost Yooper - would love to go diving still - my buddy just left for Flint for the Christmas holidays, so I just stare at my gear now. You were right about the Beechcraft plane - did you dive the boat about 1/4 mile up the river too? You may think I really am nuts - I'm still diving wet. Depending on length of your dive and what temp actually is would be deciding factors I guess. Your doing the tailrace at the Locks? I was there a few weeks ago for a 30 min dive - pretty intense - shoots you a pretty good distance in a small amount of time. If your serious about doing some dives - contact me either here or send me an email - I have almost 2 weeks off with Christmas now.

Bioguy - I would appreciate the name of the shop you dealt with in the past here in Ontario, especially because our Canadian Dollar is worth pocket lint everywhere else.

buff and Yooper - what do you guys know about DiveINN? Any concerns or issues? Are they reliable? I've been checking out their prices, most are excellent. I guess I'm a little leary about doing buisness with a company in Spain, over the internet. Thanks for your help guys!:cool:

Scott,

I haven't done that wreck up there yet. I know about it, but just haven't done it. I thought the trailrace was on the Canadian side. I was there once, but didn't dive. For the dive we're doing, we put a ladder over the railing at the power plant in Soo Michigan and take a look at all the junk down there (25' max). As far as time, I suspect it will be less than an hour. I'll let ya know what's going on. I would venture a guess that we'll be diving Sunday or Monday. Yeah, I'd say anyone who dives wet up here is a certifiable nutt case :D.

I have an Apeks TX40/DS4 on order from DiveINN right now. It was on backorder, but it has been shipped out. It might be here today -- hopefully. My normal guy couldn't get one, so I went with DiveINN. So far, I haven't had much of a problem with them. I'm planning on getting an ATX200/DS4 from my normal guy in the Spring for about $275. You can try Simply Scuba too www.simplyscuba.com. You have to change the currency and subtract the 17.5% tax from the prices shown to get the right price. It took me a long time before I would buy from over seas too, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Talk to ya later.

Mike

Scubascott-

The first thing is would try it to get that "old, worn out, mistreated" Apeks TX50 that Yooper will have laying about when he gets his ATX 200/DS4. I bet he would sell it to you for a song!!-such as "Oh, Canada"!!!!!!

Seriously, maybe Mike would sell it to you. What say you Mike?

Otherwise, here's my story.

I was a young lad searching the globe for the best deals on dive gear when I came across www.diveinn.com Being of little money and even less trust in people I investigated this bastion of well-priced dive goods. "Certainly, must be a con" thought I. "These dive goods are too inexpensive to be of first quality and what about shipping,import fees and the currency conversion-not to mention that they speak this strange tongue called, Spanish"

$2000.00 worth of dive equipment later and I am a believer-Halleiluligh(or however it's spelled). Diveinn has truly been wonderful. That Spanish hacienda of scuba stuff has allowed me to actually go on dive trips to great places with the money I saved. Some of their gear is 50% off of what you would find in your LDS. I am not bashing dive shops here.... cause I have done that on other posts. Besides some people do need help. But you my friend have discovered the world's greatest online scuba help center "SCUBABOARD" and it's free. Did I mention that we live in a great world?

Here are your questions answered about DiveInn:

1. There are no "issues"

2. On your credit/debit card you will be charged a small fee for foreign conversion. This is done by the credit card company or bank and is standard practice. Additionaly, it is minimal-a couple of percent of the total-that's all. I think mine was $17.00 U.S.

3. It took 3 day to get my stuff from Spain and I live in Minnesota. I was concerned about "import fees" but there are none(thanks free trade) if you are not buying a mountain of gear. My shipping cost on $1500.00( I bought an Apeks reg and octo. a Poseidon odin octo, 2 sets of fins, a Suunto cobra computer, a dive bag, masks and snorkels) and my TOTAL shipping was $36.00- ALL THE WAY FROM SPAIN!!!!!!!!!! IN THREE DAYS!!!!!!! It's a great world we live in-and you have free health care to boot!

4. Warranty. Here in the U.S. you only get a warranty when you buy from an "authorized dealer". Most manufacturere's don't give warranties when you buy something online. Diveinn backs up its equipment(easy to do since it's top shelf, authentic stuff that almost never breaks) with its own warranty. That doesn't mean to say the manufacturere won't uphold the warranty. I sent my Apeks to be serviced by a guy who is on this board and he said "you have a cracked adjustment knob. I have called Apeks and they say it's an assembly flaw. They will send a new one at no expense" So the manufacturer just might uphold the warranty anyhow. For the money you are saving you can service the reg. for 10 years. Warranties are silly, useless things. They buy you "peace of mind" but "I want my reg. serviced, damnit" is what you really want.

5. It's cool getting stuff in the mail. But even cooler when it's from a another country!!! It says "Spain" all over the box and you really feel international-not to mention it's so cheap.

There was a mixup on one of my orders. It was my fault, really but Inez at DiveInn took care of the whole thing. I sent the merchandise back, they sent me the correct product and THEY PAID FOR ALL THE SHIPPING!!!! Their customer service is great.

One more tip: If you're looking at dry suits-and you should be cause you're not in the Bahamas if you haven't noticed. Look at the Aqualung Nordic Pro. I bought one from DiveInn and it is sweet. I asked them to meet a price at SimplyScuba and they said no problem. That price was $580.00. You will not find a suit of that quality for that price. It's an entry level suit-latex collar and wrist seals, Apeks inflation valves with hose, auto shoulder dump, suspenders, neoprene lined boots, neoprene warmth collar . I am modeling it in my "profile" photo(I got the Calculus book from the University of Minnesota-and it is for sale if you are interested). I am all for a custom built suit but if you can fit in an off the rack suit then why not save a 1,000-1,500 bucks(U.S. of course-not that "funny money" you guys have up there-HAHAH).

That's my parable for the day. Summation: try to steal Yooper's old reg. from him! if not then don't be afraid to buy from DiveInn. Tell Inez I say hello. I am angeling for her to give me a tour of Spain when I go there with my wife someday - that's why I want you to mention me-Miguel Allen.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom