Poseidon Jetstream/Odin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.K. Joel how much would you need to take those second rate Poseidon's off your hands and put them back to work in the cold, murky depths of Minnesota?

I would assume that I am doing you a favor by buying them so they should be reasonably priced-huh?

Mike

Originally posted by buff
O.K. Joel how much would you need to take those second rate Poseidon's off your hands and put them back to work in the cold, murky depths of Minnesota?

I would assume that I am doing you a favor by buying them so they should be reasonably priced-huh?

Mike

Mike,

For their time they were first-rate regulators. Well-made Swedish engineering and the choice of all tech divers in their day. That's why I bought them. I went from a Sherwood Magnum rig for my first cave dives, to the Cyklon 5000. Wow! What a difference! I didn't have a headache in high-flow caves, I could get a full breath when swimming hard, MAN!

So I do have a certain fondness for them, but yes, I do want to sell them and yes they will be reasonably-priced. Make me an offer and I'll get them out and give some thought to what the market is and want I want for them.

Thanks,

JoeL

Buff,

If you are going to be picking up the Poseidon maybe we can talk about that Apeks of yours since that is what I am using in the water here in Minnesota and it never hurts to have extras.

Gonna be swimming under the hard water this weekend.

JoelW

Originally posted by monster
jjoeldm --

I'd like to know more about the Atomic Tech models. Where can I get more info?

Sure, I'll be chatting with him on Wednesday night, I'll post that info ASAP.

JoeL

I had to jump in on this...

I have a cyclon 5000, The first stage is set at 145psi (so all my seconds are basically interchangeable) and the 2nd was adjusted to match it. It breathes perfectly and I have used it deeper than 200 in this configuration.

I use my cyclon as my primary reg or an abysmal reg (poseidon 1st Kirby morgan second) and an apeks as a backup, comparing the two at depth the poseidon just breathes better. The Absymal breathes better than both but I like the "feel" of the Cyclon better.
Contrary to the outdated info on APEKS site the deep OC record dives (1010 ft) were done on a ABYSMAL reg (the previous dives were done on the Apeks (less than 900 ft).

I'm not trying to insult you with the next question, but I'm covering all points..

Did you adjust the 2nd stage?? You need an inline tool to adjust the 2nd while the unit is pressurized or you'll never get it to breathe right..

Originally posted by padiscubapro
I had to jump in on this...

I have a cyclon 5000, The first stage is set at 145psi (so all my seconds are basically interchangeable) and the 2nd was adjusted to match it. It breathes perfectly and I have used it deeper than 200 in this configuration.

I use my cyclon as my primary reg or an abysmal reg (poseidon 1st Kirby morgan second) and an apeks as a backup, comparing the two at depth the poseidon just breathes better. The Absymal breathes better than both but I like the "feel" of the Cyclon better.
Contrary to the outdated info on APEKS site the deep OC record dives (1010 ft) were done on a ABYSMAL reg (the previous dives were done on the Apeks (less than 900 ft).

I'm not trying to insult you with the next question, but I'm covering all points..

Did you adjust the 2nd stage?? You need an inline tool to adjust the 2nd while the unit is pressurized or you'll never get it to breathe right..

Don't worry, describing your regs and offering a suggestion will not insult me. :)

Neither will it change my mind about Poseidons when you say you were able to tune your Cyklon to breathe well when the IP is set 35 PSI below factory-recommended settings. If anything it makes my point. If I read your note correctly about needing an "inline tool" to adjust the 2nd or "you'll never get it to breathe right," that appears to confirm that you also understand that either these regs are touchy and/or your workaround is.

If you already own Poseidons and you love them and they work for you, then good for you, dive on. But just because you were able to adjust the IP and the 2nd with skill and just the right tool doesn't mean the Poseidon is on my short list of regs appropriate for tech or rec. Or that they should be on any new tech or rec diver's short list.

There is a good choice of regs out there that are great for rec & tech diving and give as good a gas volume on demand at depth _without_ tweaking and finding kludgey workarounds to make them more compatible with the IP of other regs. So why would any diver buy a Poseidon when there are more compatible, more dependable, simpler, easier to get serviced anywhere and less touchy regs to buy unless there's some obnoxious guy online who's fed up with his and would sell them at a good price? :)

Which, BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to follow-through with an offer on! C'mon, Poseidon Odin and Poseidon Cyklon 5000 lovers, I'd never try to talk you out of yours and I'd rather sell these to ya'll than to some unsuspecting newbie! They're in good shape and I am pretty sure I have a long hose somewhere for one of them that I'll toss in!

C'mon, make me an offer I can't refuse (and no horse-heads, please).

JoeL

I would suggest putting them on ebay. Personaly I love the Jetstream/ODIN and I would buy but I just bought mine :)

It was not hard to tune at all (IMHO). The Cyklon (which I have also) I am not super impressed with. I bought them off ebay and really wanted the ODIN. I have not dove the Cyklon yet but on the surface I don't like it that much. It's in my "Save a Dive" kit now for one of those "Just in Case" times :)

Eveyones reg will alway's be better than someone elses. Although poseidons are very classy and fantasitic performers they are like porche's you have to manuaully tune them by hand and are quite labour intensive. They are epecially effective on deeper dives where CO2 retention can be leathal. Therefore i sugget that they are not over looked but there plenty of beautiful choices out ther!!! Take one to depth and you will know why they are loved..

Hey Daisho :D

Hope you regs are working sweet !!

NINJA:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom