Poseidon Odin/Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes that is correct. the U.S. Navy has tested the Poseidon Odin and it is currently the only cold water regulator approved for U.S. Navy use. I should be alittle more exact in my responses this way I can be more clear, I appreciate you keeping me on my toes. I look forward to your reply.

Heh thought as much. Nice to see you back on the boards Rainreg, furnishing us all with your expertise. I for one appreciate it :)

In the past 25 years i've tried them all, including most of the scubapros' with the pull away knob defects. Let me say that Poseidon makes one of the highest quality regs Period. No fancy gimmicks or adj are needed on these regs. Yes, I have a tech in Montery Ca. that even gets his parts from Poseidon of Sweeden. None of the Serious Fun runaround. When you go and dive all over the world you will see many, many more Poseidon regs than here in the states. You can always settle for the latest and greatest, but when you want and need absolute reliability, preformance, and safety you should choose Poseidon.

Originally posted by rainreg
Yes that is correct. the U.S. Navy has tested the Poseidon Odin and it is currently the only cold water regulator approved for U.S. Navy use. I should be alittle more exact in my responses this way I can be more clear, I appreciate you keeping me on my toes. I look forward to your reply.

I would have to disagree with that. The cold water US navy regs are the 'Group A' regs. This list, as well as the poseidon regs includes the Apex TX40 TX50 and TX100, The scubapro MK20 with several different second stages (provided it is sealed) and a couple of others.

Look in any dive magasine at the adverts - they all say US Navy Group A reg.

Jon T

Hello turnerjd, I have to correct you on this "class A" thing. The U.S. Navy used that method of classifying scuba regulators over 10 years ago, early 1990's the U.S. Navy went to a "meets goal" "Does not meet goal" type standard, this information can be reviewed within the Unmanned Testing Manual at NEDU and the list of regulators that have passed or "Meets Goal" are currently on the "ANU" (Authorized for Navy Use list) NAVSEA (Naval Sea Systems Command) is the upline of NEDU (Navy Experimental Diving Unit) You can review this ANU list by going to the http://www.nedu.navsea.navy.mil/ then click on the divers picture in the center of the screen. Then look at the column on the left-hand side of the page go to the "ANU List" button and click. Then follow the directions on that page. The Regulators you listed are not on this list and never have been I should Know I was the Navy Experimental Diving Units Scuba Regulator and Buoyancy Compensator Testing Task leader for 7+ years. I am Retiring from the Navy this August. I hope this information sheds some light on the rumors and BS we read in ads on a daily basis. If you have any Questions about my background feel free to review them at http://www.detahq.com. Go to "Staff Info" on the top of the left-hand column and you will see my credentials.
Thank you for your continued interest in diving equipment and keep those questions coming.

Rainreg...

Thanks for that.... (although it is a bit strange that manufacturers are still advertising regs as USN Group A regs though!!)

Jon T

Hey turnerjd, There are alot of manufacturers touting their performance features saying they pass or exceed the U.S.Navy Class "A" standards, and based on the numbers (Work of breathing / breathing resistance) it can be quit true that their regs do pass or exceed that standard because that standard (and even standard is a bad word the U.S. Navy does not want to be in the Standards business, They come up with figures that make sence to them based on Data collected (through a rigorous testing process to support the type of diving they will be doing, then draw the line in the sand saying everything on this side passes and "Meets Navy Goal"and well everything on that side fails or does not meet navy goal(And yet another item on those regulators that do not pass the test: It does not mean they are not good regulators or not safe to dive It just means that based on the Performance evaluation they fell short of the required mark. It was that old standard or process of classifiying "A" "B" and Class "c" regulators that well worked well way back then but would not work well now. the abc classisification was designed to separate the "Men from the Boys" so to speak. But by todays standards most regulators made today should exceed / pass the class "a" standard. Technology is a funny thing but the equipment made today really is getting better and safer. More to come.

Rainreg, in plain English(unless I missed it), which are the upstream models? Some folks might be trying to mate one of these seconds to a non Poseidon, non vented first stage. I think you know what that means.

I use the Odin as my back up. I have various thoughts on the reg. First, there are many highly respected extreme divers that won't touch the Odins (WKPP). This back up reg is the only serious deviation I have against die hard DIRer's. If, however, I was diving in hot 60F water, I wouldn't even consider the Odin. Second, I have several commercial diver freinds who swear by them for cold water diving (hundreds of hours in less than 35F water). Third, mine has never froze up.
In all honesty, I can't stand the reg other than it will not freeze up. I hate the mouth piece and exhaust bubbles in my face. I don't like the high cost of parts. That being said, if my Zeagle freezes (which it does around 35F), I know I have an awesome cold water back up under my chin.
One last thing about the class rating of regs. I put virtually no weight on a class A reg other than it will probably breath good. My Zeagle T50D is rated as a cold water reg at 55F water. Oooohh, I wish I such balmy water to dive in. I've heard of and seen so many class A regs freeze up it ain't funny. The only exception is the Odin (and Cyclone too). Another good cold water reg I hear is the old US Diver's Conshelf with the metal case. There needs to be another realistic cold water rating of around 32F.

Good luck,

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper

In all honesty, I can't stand the reg other than it will not freeze up. I hate the mouth piece and exhaust bubbles in my face. I don't like the high cost of parts. That being said, if my Zeagle freezes (which it does around 35F), I know I have an awesome cold water back up under my chin.

Mike

Mike,

Is that the Apex old TD50 (predecessor of the TX50) or the TX50 rebadged?

If it is a rebadged Apeks, what first stage have you got?? I regularly dive my Apeks's in 1 - 2 °C and have never had a problem with freezing - If you have the unsealed first stage then that is the problem!

The Apeks are real cold water regs and shouldn't freeze up like that. - get it looked at!

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom