possible for reg to blow up underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, everyone out of the pool! You all need to report to the 02 cleaning room. That's where I send people who are being snotty. I have to have all your snotty responses 02 cleaned, so that no other person with a basic question is burned by the combustion of your combined arrogance.
Chill out, answer questions help a diver out...K?

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/sb05-01.pdf

DID the NOAA and Hawaii regs split on pressure when air was turned on or underwater...
From the photos looks like a Blow UP to Me although it's called a split it's on the Hi Pressure side.

DI_Guy:
I don't think Burst Disks are used in Europe. Am I right on that ?
I can not speak for the whole of Europe, but at least here we do have burst disks. Who told you that??

jva:
I can not speak for the whole of Europe, but at least here we do have burst disks. Who told you that??

Not used in the UK.

Dom

Someone on here threw out the phrase "blowing an o-ring in your first stage at depth"
I kind of find that hard to believe. the 1st stage regulator failures I have seen have been:
in water problems:
1. 1st stage freezing up in cold conditions. this usally is secondary result of a second stage freeze up with free flow.
2. a poorly maintianed reg having the 1st stage HP seat finally wear enough to cause a free flow, only saw this once.
3. free flowing from a bad o-ring on the tank (not a 1st stage problem)

out of the water. (during set up)
1. turning on the air and having an o-ring on a hose that isn't tightened properly mushroom out and cause a leak.
2. reg locking up completely due to improper maintenace.

I think the person who threw this phrase out there was inaccurately describing one of the above failures.

jva:

A good friend of mine from France told me that. So I guess in France they don't use Burst Disks. ( I could be wrong ).

DI_Guy

I was present once when a burst disk blew off a tank in a shop. This was sometime around 1979. The tank was in the back near the compressor. It was full & had been sitting there for hours, no recent activity. We were in the front & it sounded like a gunshot. When we investigated, we found that it had blown a hole through the wall seperating the 2 rooms, but had not made it through the front wall of the building.

I was very glad that we had all been standing in far end of the room, away from where the damage occured.

jva:
No burst discs in Germany either.

aquaoren:
No burst discs in Germany either.
Now I'm really going to find out. I thought I recalled reading this in my training book, but it's a long time ago and I must be confusing it with the one from padi.. Sorry for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom