Question Possibly prehistoric bone awl - what to do with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

New here, counting on your expertise.
I found this at the North-West coast of Sardinia, not even scuba diving, just snorkeling, at around 5m depth, some 100-150m off the shore. Cleaned it a bit, but didn't attempt any further as not to damage it. From some initial research I gather it could be a stone or bone awl (Figure 6. Bone awls from the Chatelperronian layers of the Grotte du...) - rather the latter due to the bone shape & weight. Any ideas how to clean it? Or what to do with it other than just display it on my shelf? It could be tens of thousands years old (oldest ones date to 1.5mln years ago) - though considering it wasn't covered by layers of sand & encrusted beyond recognition I guess it's relatively 'new'. Still, when was the last time anyone used a bone awl?

Here's a quick video I made yesterday:

Anthropology Department at a University?

Thanks both. I guess I'll do just that. I'm just worried I might not get it back :wink:
On the other hand, if it has significance and you never show anyone… what’s the point of finding it.

Most countries have some laws guarding the finding of antiquities and they can vary widely.

On the other hand, if it has significance and you never show anyone… what’s the point of finding it.

Most countries have some laws guarding the finding of antiquities and they can vary widely.
fair enough (though I can always show it to friends or use it as a conversation starter :wink:).
Re laws, I found it in another country anyway (Italy, I'm in Belgium), so kinda too late for that.
I'll see what the museum says and let you guys know! Thanks

You've already moved it, so unless you documented the site you found it at, the context is gone. Cleaning it before consulting with a museum or professional archaeologist was also a mistake...who knows what you removed that could be helpful in the analysis. Don't know if it's the type of material that would become encrusted but it could have been uncovered by wave action, so the depth it was found at is not as indicative as it would be on land. Best to have flagged it and reported the find to a university or museum.....also no harm in taking photos.

I would rather an artifact be displayed in a private home than be catalogued and put in a box and stored in some warehouse out of an Indiana Jones movie and never to see the light of day which is where 90% will end up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom