Posted images from dives in July, 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just about every month I post an album of underwater images on Facebook from dives done during that month. This month has been pretty cool despite horrible vis the first week. Highlights include a largemouth blenny (Labrisomus xanti), the first time I've ever seen one in Catalina waters; and the rediscovery of our little whitetail gregory or damsel (Stegastes leucorus) which is believed to be the first ever documented in California waters. You don't need to be a friend on Facebook to see these images using the following link:

Catalina Underwater July 2016 | Facebook

Very nice; good to see names since I don't know your local species. Your 2nd Whitetail gregory or damsel (Stegastes leucoris) is labeled as a large-mouth blend. Enjoyed the large-mouth blend shots; neat to see a pic of a blenny that looks like the animal is over 2 inches long!

Richard.

Hard to get a shot of the largemouth blenny that shows its actual size (about 8" I think). It darts around very quickly and usually I lose it in the frame due to its movement. It also attacks anything that comes close including other fish, my video lights and my thumb. Am hoping that another diver (Ruth Harris) will descend with me (to the incredible depth of 7 fsw) and try to feed it so we can get a size perspective. Thanks on the mislabel, too.

Had feedback from the fishiest of fish experts, Dr. Milton Love, indicating that the largemouth blenny could be that or possibly the multipored blenny. Precise identification would require a specimen since the diagnostic differences are hard to tell from the photographs.

thanks for sharing the images...what is that on the orange fish?......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom