Pow Camp Gravenhurst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trevormclay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I have been reading into the old POW camp that was located in Gravenhurst during WW2. At the end of the war the buildings were pushed into the lake. Located here Has anyone ever dove this ? it says it can be dove from the shore which would be interesting. If no one has dove it I will try and find/dive it this summer with my camera and see if theres anything worth seeing!

Its easy to find. There is a park there with a historical plaque.
Its not very deep and there is not a lot to see, but its interesting for its history.
As I recall, there are some cribs there which appear to be part of a perimeter barrier.
Its a good spot for a second dive after a morning dive on the Waome.

Its easy to find. There is a park there with a historical plaque.
Its not very deep and there is not a lot to see, but its interesting for its history.
As I recall, there are some cribs there which appear to be part of a perimeter barrier.
Its a good spot for a second dive after a morning dive on the Waome.
Thank you for getting back to me, even though I'm young I have always had a passion for World War history. Since I have a cottage located only 10 minutes away by boat finding out theres a dive site of the old POW camp really interested me. I will probably dive it a few times this summer even if it isn't that great.

Has anyone read the book "The gilded Cage" by Cecil Porter? it is all about the life at this camp ! I will look at buying a copy next time I am up in Gravenhurst to read before diving the spot. Will make for a very historic dive and seems like a cool book to add to my collection.

that's what a chainsaw is for. not cutting trees :shocked:
Been there to recapture my Auger that broke apart after making its way through the ice. That was not a friendly dip into the lake. End of April I will probably be able to dive to a shallow depth (I will use my 7mm wetsuit and 3mm wetsuit combined to make a super 10mm wetsuit. I have some concrete blocks from an old floating dock I need to lift up and move deeper for personal and boat safety reasons. The water will only be 5-7 feet deep depending on the water level at the time. If the water is warm enough I might try and dive the camp late April or early May depending on free time.

You need to get yourself a dry suit! Your can only be so much Canadian eh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom