Practising with new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The three Es -- education / experience, equipment, environment. Change one, keep the others the same, to avoid task overloading.
That way you have a pretty good idea which area to adjust when things get weird at 50 feet. And don't wind up hitting your head on the bottom of the boat while trying to fix it.

Perhaps because I live in the north, I was was taught to never use a reg to inflate anything unless really, absolutely truely necessary.

It's pretty easy to learn to use the air exhausted from your reg to fill the SMB. This is the very best because you are not unnecessarly removing your regulator, which is an unnecessary taking a risk. Maybe no biggie for rec diving but still it's unnecessary, and mayb not doing so and still executing with skill will look cool ;-)

Ditto on the advice about adding a little bit first thing to get the bag open, ditto about using little enough that the SMB is well w/in your control. Ditto x100 about practising ;-)

SMB use and OOA air-sharing are without doubt the 'roughest' of skills shown to me by 'experienced' divers. I also see Instr/guides doing it pretty rough as well so if you go with an instructor as always: caveat emptor.

Very true. I, the student, got to assist my drift instructor in untangling a mess of line wrapped up in his first and second stages during a recent drift. It was quite unexpected to say the least.

I think (as mentioned already by others) that keeping it all in front of you and keeping the line taut are two keys. I watched a few youtube vids as well, personally I learn best by seeing it first.

Great thread, hopefully next time you try it out the exercise goes off without a hitch!

Thanks for the advice. I did read about using a puff of air to get the smb to stand upright, but I read it after my attempt. I will try that next time.

My SMB deployment goes something like this:

1. Prepare SMB
2. Check surrounding including looking up.
3. Put some exhaust bubbles in to unfurl the SMB.
4. In left hand, hold reel and SMB loop away to one side of the opening.
5. Check surrounding including looking up.
6. Breathe out forcefully while inflating bag for a second making sure the Octo remains a couple of inches below the bag.
7. Release bag.

It depends a little on depth as well. If deploying from around 10m/35ft, then exhaust bubbles is pretty much all you need to have enough air in the SMB once at the surface.

The biggest mistake I see (besides having loose line) is actually sticking the octopus inside the bag opening whilst inflating.

Back
Top Bottom