Pre-startup maintenance/safety review for a compressor Bauer Capitano C3E (1982)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amarti2038

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to all the people that mantain and post info in this forum.

A family friend just gave me a compressor Bauer Capitano C3E (1982) 225 bar and a triphasic electric motor of 3800W and 1300 rpm.

The compresosr was in use in my friends house during summers arround 20 or 30 times per summer and had all the official bauer manteinance tasks till 2006. It also has an update in the carbon filter to the P21 system and a Manometer in the lubrication system.

I just bought a new P21 cartrige, a N70 intake air filter and 3 liter of official Bauer mineral oil and a new oil manometer.

See the compressor in the attached photo.

I would like to know wich tasks would you perform before the first start. The tri-phasic motor/phase orientation is already clare :)

Regards,
Albert M.

UxrKb.jpg

All you need to know should be in the owners manual.
Try to get it and read it from the beginning to the end.

hi

Thanks for your response.

The capitano 1982 comrpessor manual is not available or at least I could not find it in the Bauer manuals repository or in internet, I just found the spare parts PDF for this compressor and I also found the Manual for the 1994 Capitano that still uses the same compressor block. In any case both manuals don`t provide the info that I search.

Some compressor user should know wich are the typicall estressed/security parts to check after a period of inactivity. I just search some tips from a compressor advanced user :)

Regards,
Albert

Change the filters and oil hook up an empty tank and run it if it fills the tank in a reasonable time it's good to go check the filter towers with soapy water and a paint brush O-rings will leak with time. also check the stage drain valves for leaks they tend to leak also. Bauer compressors are the toughest and best compressors.

Thanks for your response.

I will follow your tips. Measuring the time to fill the a tank will really help to see if there is leaks. I thought also to dismount/clean/hidrate with bauer vaseline the discharge valves for each stage.

Change the filters and oil hook up an empty tank and run it if it fills the tank in a reasonable time it's good to go check the filter towers with soapy water and a paint brush O-rings will leak with time. also check the stage drain valves for leaks they tend to leak also. Bauer compressors are the toughest and best compressors.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

In the 1994 capitano manual (http://www.divexglobal.com/assets/products/57/docs/Capitano-Manual-1994.pdf) there is also a god tip in page 73/82:

Prior to first operation or operation subse-
quent to repair work operate unit for at least 10
minutes with open condensate valves (pres-
sureless) to ensure proper lubrication of all
parts before pressure is built up.

Last edited:
If the compressor fills a tank at rated output I wouldn't do a thing lubricating the valves is useless. If they are not even lapping them is all that can be done or replace. Filtertechs on line is a great spot for parts and information. They will answer any questions you have. Go look at there sight. It will take a while to learn to navigate the sight. Good luck. When filling the test tank dont forget about the filters volumn.

Once you've filled the first cylinder get the air quality checked.
Why, electric power, synthetic oil, charcoal and desicent. What could be wrong with the fill? I am not saying you are wrong to get the air analyzed. Just that isn't necessary unless there's a chance that contaminates are getting into the fill. If you are selling the fills its a good idea to get it analysed for legal reasons and it make customer's feel better to see the certificate on the wall.

Thanks for the Filtertechs shop, the problem is that it I am in europa. i fount a bauer provider online, you can fin it if you search baur-kompressoren-direkt in google. they also have a lot of stuff and info. i bought all there less the manometer that i found it online in ebay. seems that bauer request to wika to construct their manometers, i bouth the Wika and its exactly the same as the original it just changes the brand printed in the measurement disc.
100701.jpg
100698_2.jpg

about the air quality check i think in the same way than you sealark. maybe if the air check test is cheap i would do it. at the end no contanmination agent is touch the stages or the pipes after changing the filters and the oil, there is no chance of it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom