prescription dive masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a +2.5 prescription and I just bought a standard Mares X-vision and had prescription "bi-focals" glued into them after market. Works like a charm. (see picture)

Yes, it's me

Snorkel Mart great prices. I have gotten two from them then I had cataract surgery and Snorkel Mart put regular glass back into the prescription masks free.
LINK to Snorkel Mart

Consider contacts + regular mask. After my wife got an expensive sea-vision prescription mask it was retired in favor of contacts+mask. The reason she switched is that she didn't want to carry glasses on the boat and switch back/forth. With contacts she doesn't have to carry glasses or worry about not being able to see well in between the switch.

That is, if you wear contacts in the first place...

Another of my dive buddies does the same as @Diver0001 and uses glue-in lenses with a regular mask. However he has problems with the lenses occasionally coming off and having to be re-glued.

VisibilityUnlimited.com

Very good mask, about 80 bucks. I can see clearly!! Then I put a stick-on magnifier in the corner for gauge-reading

You probably have, but if not, make sure using a regular mask doesn't cause you to see perfectly underwater due to the refraction (was the case with me when I was nearsighted). I do not recommend the stick ons--but I used warm water to attach them --as instructions said-- and lost 2--glue may be a better option. Then I did Lasik and need no glasses topside, but my vision is not quite as good underwater as when I was nearsighted and wearing glasses.
Off the top of my head, I would think a costly prescription mask may present problems when your eyesight changes every 2-3 years, as did mine, but I don't know. Do vision plans usually cover dive masks? Contacts may be a better choice?

Talk to your local dive shop. We are able to offer drop in negative lenses in about 4 name brand masks. For a positive script we send them out to be permanently bonded to the glass.

You probably have, but if not, make sure using a regular mask doesn't cause you to see perfectly underwater due to the refraction (was the case with me when I was nearsighted). I do not recommend the stick ons--but I used warm water to attach them --as instructions said-- and lost 2--glue may be a better option. Then I did Lasik and need no glasses topside, but my vision is not quite as good underwater as when I was nearsighted and wearing glasses.
Off the top of my head, I would think a costly prescription mask may present problems when your eyesight changes every 2-3 years, as did mine, but I don't know. Do vision plans usually cover dive masks? Contacts may be a better choice?
My vision plan only covers exams, no eye wear at all. Healthcare plans in the US are pretty bad compared to W. Europe & Canada.

Consider contacts + regular mask. After my wife got an expensive sea-vision prescription mask it was retired in favor of contacts+mask. The reason she switched is that she didn't want to carry glasses on the boat and switch back/forth. With contacts she doesn't have to carry glasses or worry about not being able to see well in between the switch.

That is, if you wear contacts in the first place...

Another of my dive buddies does the same as @Diver0001 and uses glue-in lenses with a regular mask. However he has problems with the lenses occasionally coming off and having to be re-glued.
I haven't ever worn contacts, but maybe it's time to try them. I always thought they'd be an issue if I had to clear my mask, but I guess I could close my eyes when doing that.

I haven't ever worn contacts, but maybe it's time to try them. I always thought they'd be an issue if I had to clear my mask, but I guess I could close my eyes when doing that.
That's what I've been told. I would doubt you'd have to close eyes if you're just dumping a little water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom