Prescription Scuba Mask

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by wesandkim, Jan 11, 2009.

1. wesandkim

wesandkim Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I am looking for a company that can do a prescription scuba mask. Any suggestions? Anyone else order one of these? I tried contacts and it did not go well, husband has had enough of asking me if I am ok and I give him my air pressure.

Thanks
    Kim

2. NudeDiver

NudeDiver Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
  3. micklock

micklock Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  4. seaducer

seaducer Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    This guy is good, I have a mask from him, and so does another person I know. Good quality, fast mail order service. You can mail him your mask or purchase one from him.

Leonard Maggiore, Optician

5. herman

herman Divemaster

6. zider

zider Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You can also order masks from scubatoys.com. Just get your prescription, which you need anyway, and tell them what rating is needed for each eye. They offer masks from Tusa and Mares that can be upgraded with prescription lenses. Just tell them which mask you want, what the correction is for right/left, and they will do the rest. Plus tell them on the phone that you are a scubaboard member and they will knock off 10%.

7. divermatt

divermatt Single Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Most dive shops can help with this--I have a pair of these prescription goggles, it cost me about $90.00. They just take your glasses, and figure out the prescription, then get lenses for each eye. I don't need a perfect match, since underwater refraction is an issue, and besides, how much am I going to spend on a piece of gear that has a fairly short lifespan?

8. bleeb

bleeb Single Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    From your original post, it sounds like you may already have a mask. In case you weren't aware, if you have a mask with separate lenses for each eye, most of the major mask manufacturers make drop-in replacement lenses at regular diopter values. (Round your prescription to the nearest value, usually rounding down.) Should be available by special order through any decent LDS.

9. oreocookie

oreocookie Scuba Instructor

10. fisheater

fisheater Divemaster Candidate

Step One: Find a mask that fits. This is critical. No messing around with this!!

Step Two: See if the LCS offers that mask with prescription lenses (either custom or standard "drop in" lenses).

If yes, order it and you're done.

If no, return to Step One.

11. BubblesUp

BubblesUp Nassau Grouper

12. divermatt

divermatt Single Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    The costs at Sea Vision seem to be in line with what I'm talking about, but I really, really would advise the OP to try on a mask, make sure that it's a fit, then get the lenses. I wonder if the OP has asked at the LDS about this.

13. sphillips3

sphillips3 Scuba Instructor

Another vote for Prescription Dive Masks - very good service. Go to your LDS and get a mask that fits, then send it to PDM and they can grind the lenses and put them in. Very nice people to work with.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Single Diver

There is a local outfit that my LDS uses that does the same thing as Prescription Dive Mask. I choose a mask then he sends the mask in to get the prescription lenses made and bonded to my mask's original lenses. Work like a charm. Not cheap but work like a charm. I can safely dive without prescription but I lose a lot of the details and colors.

I have this prescription lenses thing done to both my primary and backup mask.

15. Puffer Fish

Puffer Fish Captain Happy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    I have a Hydro-optix mask, one with the drop in lens, and one with prescription custom made...

Best vision is with the Hydro..but the mask leaks, and the straps suck...but being seriously nearsighted it works really well.

The drop in sort of work..well I can see better, but they have a fair amount of distortion because the lens center does not line up with my eyes.

The custom mask.. done by a company in indiana.. to a mask I really like, is wonderful...and what I wear most of the time....

16. NudeDiver

NudeDiver Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives:
    Yeah, it's the difference between using pupillary distance (PD) and not. That aside, I'd much rather have an exact prescription, rather than the "next closest" - esp. if one has astigmatism, which isn't correct for at all by generic prescription lenses.

FWIW, my Hydrooptix flat mask doesn't leak. Is it possible you have it on too tightly?

Also FWIW, I've had two ScubaPro Crystal Vu masks, with custom lenses bonded in. That solution was fine - it worked, but I could see the edges of the lenses (an issue with all bonded lenses) and I like the built-in lens approach much better.

Cheers!
    nd

17. ChimChim75

ChimChim75 Barracuda

Well, if you have a weak prescription, Body Glove actually makes ones with common corrective lenses already installed. I have a hard time wearing most "corrective lens ready" masks because the heavier frame pushes into the bridge of my nose, but I can wear that one because the thinner frame. And bonus... They sell for around $65! I put about 10 dives on it since last month and no issues yet! Good mask.

18. offthewall1

offthewall1 Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    Many companies make prescription scuba masks. My recommendation is Sea Vision. Find a local dealer and try on for fit. They make several models and you'll want the one that fits you best. Good luck and Happy Diving!

19. Puffer Fish

Puffer Fish Captain Happy ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    loose....tight.... let others try it... it aways leaks the same... seems to be from the purges..although I cannot find anything obvious...doing a pressure test and it does not leak... get in the water and it leaks constantly. When you pull suction, the valves seal.. when you don't, they leak.

I have had 8 or 9 people try it, and all had the same experience.

The snaps that hold the mask are also very prone to sudden releasing.. does not bother me if my mask comes off.. but not something one wants to let a newer diver use.

20. zfrye

zfrye Scuba Instructor

Working in an LDS, my advice is to stick with Seavision. I used one of their masks for years with great results. They're efficient, fast and I've never had a complaint on their product. I've also seen too many masks that had "drop in" or "moulded" that have been very heavy, had lenses that placed too far down in the cut of the mask to do any good, leaked, etc.