Prescription Scuba Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The costs at Sea Vision seem to be in line with what I'm talking about, but I really, really would advise the OP to try on a mask, make sure that it's a fit, then get the lenses. I wonder if the OP has asked at the LDS about this.

There is a local outfit that my LDS uses that does the same thing as Prescription Dive Mask. I choose a mask then he sends the mask in to get the prescription lenses made and bonded to my mask's original lenses. Work like a charm. Not cheap but work like a charm. I can safely dive without prescription but I lose a lot of the details and colors.

I have this prescription lenses thing done to both my primary and backup mask.

I have a Hydro-optix mask, one with the drop in lens, and one with prescription custom made...

Best vision is with the Hydro..but the mask leaks, and the straps suck...but being seriously nearsighted it works really well.

The drop in sort of work..well I can see better, but they have a fair amount of distortion because the lens center does not line up with my eyes.

The custom mask.. done by a company in indiana.. to a mask I really like, is wonderful...and what I wear most of the time....

The drop in sort of work..well I can see better, but they have a fair amount of distortion because the lens center does not line up with my eyes.
Yeah, it's the difference between using pupillary distance (PD) and not. That aside, I'd much rather have an exact prescription, rather than the "next closest" - esp. if one has astigmatism, which isn't correct for at all by generic prescription lenses.

FWIW, my Hydrooptix flat mask doesn't leak. Is it possible you have it on too tightly?

Also FWIW, I've had two ScubaPro Crystal Vu masks, with custom lenses bonded in. That solution was fine - it worked, but I could see the edges of the lenses (an issue with all bonded lenses) and I like the built-in lens approach much better.

Cheers!
nd

Well, if you have a weak prescription, Body Glove actually makes ones with common corrective lenses already installed. I have a hard time wearing most "corrective lens ready" masks because the heavier frame pushes into the bridge of my nose, but I can wear that one because the thinner frame. And bonus... They sell for around $65! I put about 10 dives on it since last month and no issues yet! Good mask.

I am looking for a company that can do a prescription scuba mask. Any suggestions? Anyone else order one of these? I tried contacts and it did not go well, husband has had enough of asking me if I am ok and I give him my air pressure.

Thanks
Kim

Many companies make prescription scuba masks. My recommendation is Sea Vision. Find a local dealer and try on for fit. They make several models and you'll want the one that fits you best. Good luck and Happy Diving!

Yeah, it's the difference between using pupillary distance (PD) and not. That aside, I'd much rather have an exact prescription, rather than the "next closest" - esp. if one has astigmatism, which isn't correct for at all by generic prescription lenses.

FWIW, my Hydrooptix flat mask doesn't leak. Is it possible you have it on too tightly?

Also FWIW, I've had two ScubaPro Crystal Vu masks, with custom lenses bonded in. That solution was fine - it worked, but I could see the edges of the lenses (an issue with all bonded lenses) and I like the built-in lens approach much better.

Cheers!
nd

loose....tight.... let others try it... it aways leaks the same... seems to be from the purges..although I cannot find anything obvious...doing a pressure test and it does not leak... get in the water and it leaks constantly. When you pull suction, the valves seal.. when you don't, they leak.

I have had 8 or 9 people try it, and all had the same experience.

The snaps that hold the mask are also very prone to sudden releasing.. does not bother me if my mask comes off.. but not something one wants to let a newer diver use.

Working in an LDS, my advice is to stick with Seavision. I used one of their masks for years with great results. They're efficient, fast and I've never had a complaint on their product. I've also seen too many masks that had "drop in" or "moulded" that have been very heavy, had lenses that placed too far down in the cut of the mask to do any good, leaked, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom