Primary light for under $100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Light Monkey 2 watt backup.

I know, it's got the word "backup" in its name, but in all honesty for recreational dives (including night dives) I simply bring two of them. One as a primary and one as a backup.

It's got the added benefit of becoming a big-gun of a back-up light if you get into the sort of diving where you need a bigger gun of a primary.

DGX are great lights I have a 600 as a primary and 300 as a backup. They are insanely bright. On an hour dive, you will need both because run times are just under an hour on a full charge. There may be better batteries out there but I just use the ones that they came with.

Good luck,
Jay

First, the brightest LED emitter I know of that is currently available in a dive light is the Cree XM-L2 U3. The max they put out is just over 1000 lumens.

If you look at the DRiS 1K and the DGX 600 and numerous other popular non-canister lights, they all have this same single emitter. So, they are all going to be about the same amount of light. The differences are with the electronics and the reflector. Electronics might limit the current flow to the LED in order to preserve battery life at the expense of being not as bright. The reflector might project a wider beam which won't be as bright in the area it lights up - it will just light up more.

I have been using the DGX 600 for over a year. It's a great light. I got Sanyo 3400mAh 18650 batteries off eBay (which actually test out between 3300 and 3400) and the DGX 600 has always lasted well more than just one dive.

At $50, with a battery and charger, the DGX 600 is really hard to beat.

DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®

However, it is not perfect in all respects. I recently got an Xtar D26 to try and now that I have tried it, it has replaced my DGX 600s as my primary light. The D26 is the same single LED emitter as the DGX 600, so they both have the POTENTIAL to be just as bright as each other (or the DRiS 1K).

The beam angle on the D26 looks almost identical to the DGX 600. It's tight. I think it's actually just a smidge tighter than the DGX 600, but close enough to call it a tie.

The D26 has the following advantages:

- Turn it on and off easily with just one hand. It's a push button on-off. The button can be twisted to lock it, to prevent accidental on or off. The DGX 600 requires me to use 2 hands to twist it on or off.

- Multiple brightness levels. The max is slightly (just barely) brighter than the DGX 600. But, you can choose from 4 levels of brightness, which can be really good for really making the battery last, and also for not being too bright, in case, for example, it's a night dive and you don't want to blind the critters. The DGX 600 has just one brightness level - BRIGHT!

- Uses a 26650 battery. So, it's the same LED emitter as the DGX600, but a bigger battery, so it will last a fair bit longer than a DGX 600, even on the same brightness level. I got some Soshine 5500 mAh batteries for this light and they all test between 5100 and 5400.

- It has a threaded hole on the bottom to fit a standard tripod mount. I'm not using this (yet), but it does give mounting options that the DGX 600 does not.

- It comes with a spacer sleeve that you can use to allow you to run 18650 batteries in the light, if you need to.

- It has an LED near the power button that illuminates in different colors to indicate battery level.

The only disadvantages I've found in the D26 versus the DGX 600 are:

- It's a little bigger. But, it's still only a 1 cell light and the cells are the same length. The 26650 is simply fatter than the 18650. I think it's a very nice length for clipping to a shoulder strap D-ring on my chest.

- It's a little more expensive. But, it's still under $60 on eBay - but with no battery or charger.

I'm not super experienced as a diver and I have not tried very many different lights. But, that said, I would absolutely, highly recommend the Xtar D26 as a primary light in the Under $100 category.

Hey Misha !

Check out this baby
DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

it's 75$ and with diverightinscuba.com, 10% of your purchases go towards your next order !!!

I'm an avid cave diver and cavern guide here in the Yucatan and after trying all the fancy expensive lights which failed a lot, I've been using the DRIS lights for two years now 4 as backups in caves and sometimes as primaries in cavern when I want to give my Razor canister lights a rest... Tried and tested and banged up all over the caves and I trust no other, not bad for a 75$ light !

Check 'em out !

Wow, I would be happy finding a primary light for under $1,200. Heck, my two back ups are $130 a piece.
This.

No doubt you probably want something with an extended runtime and tight punchy beam in a cave or wreck. New OW divers don't need a $1200 light.

I've had the same Dive Rite primary light for 15 years. Sure I've replaced the batteries 4-5 times. The light head started off as halogen, then went to HID bulb, then HID reflector and finally LED reflector. Have changed the cord 4 times too. The most impressive thing is... When it needs service, I drive the 18 miles to Lake City and drop it off with Dive Rite. Never a problem.

i have a great light by hollis back up torch light -- from divers supply -- i know you are looking for a primary light -- but this one works great too
Hollis LED3 Backup Torch Magnetic Switch

• Single 3W “backup” Light
  • Concentrated 8 degree beam
  • Output 230 Lumen
  • Burn time - 6 hours total
  • Bulb life 50,000 hours
  • T6061-T6 Anodized Aluminum
  • 3 “AA” alkaline batteries
  • Depth rated to 650 ft (200 m)
  • Dimensions 1.97 inches (50 mm) diameter and 5.78 inches (147 mm) length
  • Rear tie-point for bolt snap / lanyard included
  • Double O-ring seals