Primary Light suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey TexasMike,

Katee is talking about the AUL lights - if you want to stay cheap - stay away from HID - you'll never get a cheap one.
I have seen decent cannisters go for about $200 on Ebay - typically the 8-9 Amp w/ a 35 or 50 watt bulb. I personally have the Spectrum 14 w/ a 50 watt halogen - works great adn I dive with people with HID's - about the same output, but the HID is "blue" in the color - oh and it is also the latest greatest thing (Yehaw - lemme spend some more money).
Btw - if you get a halogen and decide you really need an HID - AUL will upgrade your lighthead for $200.

As far as your use goes:
If you only have $150 to blow right now - I would consider not getting a primary - since rechargeable IS the only way to go for the primary and they are about $175 and up...
You stated that you want to be able to get a better look in crevices and such and maybe use it for night diving - these are potentially two different lights.

For the day time thing - I would get a SL6 from UK (6 C cells) - it'll let you see what you want and it is inexpensive ($40 - I think) - hmm, Niterider has a small handheld that has one heck of a light output - don't know the price - but I see them as daytime lights, bright enough that you could use if for night as well though.

Anyway - get a daytime light - it sounds like you go on trips to dive and don't do it in your backyard - typically on a trip you'll get 1 maybe 2 night dives - I would rent a light for that!

Kate - more Grunt Sculpins last night!!!

Dane

Dane...Thanks for the tips.

A bit of research through the Online shops and discovered Liesure pro is selling a UK Daylight 8 cell, non-rechargeable. for $39.95 ($46 after shipping), which when compared to the list price shown in the recent Rodales is a good deal.

I'll probably get that until my needs grow to a canister light.

Don't forget that you may be replacing 8 D cell every couple of dives... that's going to add up pretty fast...
Other than that - I have mainly heard good things about the UK lights...

Cheers,
Dane

I have the basic UK 8 cell non-rechargeable and it works fine here in the murky waters of New England. I'll have to go back and look at my logbook tonight, but I think I've been getting about 6-8 dives before having to change the batteries. It's always fun when you buy a new light and are using trial and error to figure out how long batteries will last in a given light.......it died rapidly on me in about 40 feet of water last summer on a night dive. I will check the logbook tonight to give you a more specific answer on how long it lasted.

I've had the same performance experience as laarge diver. I've been very pleased with the light and it doesn't eat batteries.

DSAO

Ok - I'll accept that as good voices -

Dane

Checked my logbook -- 7.5 dives (it died on the middle of the eighth. Each of these dives had different durations and depths. The instruction manual for the light estiamtes 4-5 hours of burn time on 1 set of batteries. This sounds about right since most of my dives were on average 40 minutes long.

Hey mike, the UK and Princeton lights are pretty good, both offer a rechargeable option. If you're looking for a good buy that's close to home, we bought ours at 2Dive4 at Stemmons freeway and Royal ln in Dallas. You can check out their online store at http://www.scubatoys.com The prices are about the best I've seen (I got my Zeagle BC for about $100 less than a dive shop near lake Travis was giving as standard retail). The owners are knowledgeable and helpful (and a couple of smartasses to boot)

I've met both Larry and Joe at 2dive4 when I was pricing out my Ranger BC and Zeagle Reg. Joe came off as too much of a wise acre for me to take him seriously regarding equipment/training. Larry was better, but well....suffice it to say I found Sand & Sea Scuba to be the folks I like. As my friend Marc Thompson says, finding a dive shop is like finding a church. It takes a while to find one you like and supports the doctrine you want to dive under.

I have purchased a UK Sunlight D8 (14-16watt) from Liesure pro for $35 and will have it for our Terrell trip. Figured it would do until I needed (and saved up for) a canister light.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I will report back how well this worked on both my lake and blue water diving.

--Mike

He is that, but he does know his stuff. He was the one who checked me out on the Ranger (Sold!). Larry actually took us in the classroom for a quick course on regulator anatomy. Showed the differences, pros and cons for diaphragm and piston regs. Both of 'em helped us out a lot. Made us a really good deal on 2 full rigs.

Back
Top Bottom