Problem decending on my 2nd dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate every ones input on this. I will see what happens this weekend when I go back out. I was a little scary for me. I do have normal allergy's throughout the day and have had a problem since I was born but never have I had first hand experience in this.

I am most worried about a reverse squeeze when I am ascending as my expert dive buddies have mentioned this before. If something like this comes up while I am ascending what can I do??

I am most worried about a reverse squeeze when I am ascending as my expert dive buddies have mentioned this before. If something like this comes up while I am ascending what can I do??
If you experience pain in your ears or sinuses while ascending, then you need to arrest the ascent immediately. Descend slightly until the pain stops. Obviously this presents a problem -- not being able to surface.

This very situation is one of the reasons that it's good practice to be conservative with respect to gas management. Having ample gas supplies (between you and your buddy) will give you more time to work the problem at depth. You can try different ear equalization techniques, but they probably won't help if the problem is localized to the sinuses. Wait a couple of minutes and then attempt to ascend as slowly as possible.

At some point, exhaustion of your gas supplies will force you to ascend to the surface. Then you'll have to just deal with the pain. If it really is a reverse squeeze localized to the sinuses, this could cause a sinus rupture. Oh, well. At least you'll be at the surface where you can receive medical attention. :idk:

Reverse blocks are one of the reasons people are strongly advised not to dive if their ability to clear their ears is marginal, or if they are experiencing any symptoms of congestion or stuffiness. A reverse block in the ears can result in eardrum rupture or worse; in the sinuses, it can result in rupture. It has been my experience, and is my strong theory, that ALL diving results in some barotrauma, no matter how careful one is. If it is superimposed on preexisting swelling or small passageways, it can result in enough swelling during a dive to produce a reverse block.

What Bubbletrubble says is, as usual, right on. You slow your ascent, and try to swallow, move your jaw, or otherwise encourage air to exit. Do NOT use pressurizing techniques on ascent! Sinus ostia, unfortunately, are not really amenable to any kind of equalizing procedure, so the best you can do is go up very, very slowly, and hope the air will squeak its way out. If not, you will eventually be forced to grit your teeth, tolerate the pain, and surface to deal with whatever damage has occurred.

Thanks again Bubbletrouble and TSandM for your suggestions. I will keep these in mind even when surfacing from my depth.

Maybe some sinus pills before my diving next time to clear me up and make sure im good to go :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom