Problem with AAUS swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need a bit of advice.

I’m having problems with one of the AAUS swim requirements and must get this sorted out before the end of January. Specifically, the problem is with the 25 yd swim (one pool-length) on one breath, underwater. Please see 5.10 a) in: Diving Standards - American Academy of Underwater Sciences (2013).

I tend to be an air hog with a cold water sac of around 0.68 when diving, I dive doubles so gas has never been a problem and I don’t skip breathe. So now I find it VERY unnatural to breath-hold u/w.

Even worse, I’ve been running and working on upper body strength. I doubt that either of those are doing me any good on the distance swim either.

Question: What is the best way to train for this swim requirement? I would prefer training for this one requirement on the surface rather than in the pool. The “Y” is very much against doing breath-hold dives unless you are being monitored. Dynamic apnea running? Can’t find much of anything on it.

Swimming:
I’ve signed on to the standard YMCA swim sequence (yet again) to make me more efficient in the water. I have two GREAT instructors that are interested in my goal and took me on as a special case. I’m having a lot of fun with this, but I also know that this is a mental game because I get farther across the pool if I start from the deep end. Thalassamania (long ago on something related) mentioned diaphragm contractions to help control “air hunger”. That seems to work a bit but it messes with my concentration on my glide timing.

Other problems:

I’m buoyant due to a large lung capacity. I have to constantly pull and kick down to keep me from corking. Do I REALLY need to get a neck weight and look like some free-dive poser? Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8bkqLQ-yU&feature=related

I’m not the only one with this problem. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100827071741AA2RPdS See “Best Answer”.

I can’t believe that this is so difficult…

Thanks.

I suspect SAC has little to do with this. 25 yards should be 30 - 35 seconds +/-. Even for us vine ripe divers, that should be doable. Take your time and don't push it too hard. I think you will be pleasantry surprised.

I coach this all the time when I was at uni doing AAUS & now at my current employment Volunteer swim test.
Short answer, don't take a full breath, ever for the 25yd UW swim.

It's about CO2 tolerance and swim mechanics.
Train in the pool. I guarantee your swim mechanics suck which affects your CO2 levels which essentially puts you dead in the water for this skill. It's like trying to back kick in split fins. Yes you can eventually do it, but you're making it harder on yourself by trying to train on land by breath holding alone.
25yds can be done in 5-8 strokes if you have the mechanics.

You need a good fluid stroke that provides a long glide period underwater. Essentially the most efficient is the UW breast stroke.
Frog kick in a streamline (arms overhead), then pull with your arms and keep your head neutral to glide a distance. Count to 2 or till you come to a near dead stop and repeat.
Nice clean strokes. Don't wrench through it otherwise your heart rate increases, your stress spikes, and your CO2 jumps to the roof.

The only time you should take a peek at your distance progress is right when you're loading for a frog kick. But keep in mind this will put you at a complete dead stop in the water. Anytime you lift your head up to look will put you at a dead stop, but doing it at this moment gives you a fluid recovery with minimal momentum wasted in your glide.
I would advise you to only look once and only once at most.

Prior to starting you need to come to terms with your CO2 level in your tissues. This DOES NOT mean hyperventilating. That is a very poor technique to overcome poor form.
Breath yoga or tai chi form and relax. Get your heart rate to a resting phase.

You should not feel light headed or different. With your heart at resting phase exhale gently all your air, take a deep breath. Exhale again full, then take a slight UNDER normal breath and submerge.

If you take a big full breath then submerge you'll be wasting energy to keep your diaphragm flexed to hold your air in.
Full breaths are for deep freediving, not the 25yd UW swim.
If you have a beer gut, a full breath will also provide you with effective "air brake" if you catch my drift.
It also increase your buoyancy, meaning for floaty divers you spend more energy trying to swim down VS swimming forward.

If continuous practice of this doesn't work, then suck it up and swim the last 10yds.

You wouldn't be happening to try for an aquarium Dive Volunteership would ya?
Or REEF?

I coach this all the time when I was at uni doing AAUS & now at my current employment Volunteer swim test.
Short answer, don't take a full breath, ever for the 25yd UW swim. ...//... You need a good fluid stroke that provides a long glide period underwater. Essentially the most efficient is the UW breast stroke. ...//.. If you take a big full breath then submerge you'll be wasting energy to keep your diaphragm flexed to hold your air in. Full breaths are for deep freediving, not the 25yd UW swim.
Excellent real world advice. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Seriously, I mean that.

I'm going with the "Zen" approach. My Australian swim instructor will love it. I can't wait to tell her.
If you have a beer gut, a full breath will also provide you with effective "air brake" if you catch my drift.
Nope, 185#, 5'11" and now rather fit. And feeling somewhat abused by a couple of lovely swim instructors...

You wouldn't be happening to try for an aquarium Dive Volunteership would ya? ....
:D err, uh...

g1138:
You wouldn't be happening to try for an aquarium Dive Volunteership would ya? ....
:D err, uh...

Bahaha. I was hoping to satisfy my curiosity if it was NY or NJ Adventure Aquarium.
Good luck anyways!

If it's the NY DSO named Roger, tell him an ADSO who likes fountain pens said hi. =P

Don't ever look up, it's like dropping anchor. Figure out where you are by drain, marks, slope change etc. on the pool bottom. Stroke is underwater breast stroke. Streamline as much as possible, head down.. Recover your hands against your body where possible. Glide but don't stop. Giant push off the wall to start, streamline glide. First stroke it just hands, long pull. Relax, use smooth power. It may help to blow a tiny bit of air and hum. I start with a big breath, but I'm not very buoyant.

Back
Top Bottom