Problem With Ear, Questions About Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB2013

Registered
Reaction score
I have an appointment at the ENT Clinic in the next few weeks. I am booked in for a Pure Tone Audiogram and Tympanogram, will these tests diagnose a problem with my middle ear if its a diving related problem. I have waited a long time for this appointment and just want to make sure I am getting the correct tests. Replies appreciated.

Well, it will tell you what sort of hearing loss you have, but the test alone can't tell you if a conductive hearing loss is caused by diving or some other problem. However, the ENT doctor will examine you and take a history, and use that information along with the hearing test to arrive at a diagnosis.

Here is some background information about the ears, different types of hearing loss and diving. Take a look at that page, it goes over a lot of this stuff in detail in non-technical terms.

The audiogram will be able to distinguish between a sensorineural ("nerve") hearing loss, and a conductive hearing loss. A conductive hearing loss is usually related to fluid in the middle ear (sometimes from diving), and it usually gets better eventually. A sensorineural hearing loss is also possible with diving, but much less common and usually permanent. The tympanogram is just an objective way of seeing if the eardrum is intact, if there is fluid in the middle ear, or just low pressure (like fluid, but not as bad in terms of hearing loss).

Good luck!

M

I have an appointment at the ENT Clinic in the next few weeks. I am booked in for a Pure Tone Audiogram and Tympanogram, will these tests diagnose a problem with my middle ear if its a diving related problem. I have waited a long time for this appointment and just want to make sure I am getting the correct tests. Replies appreciated.
It is difficult to answer the question, as posed. You may get valuable information from the test results.

It would be useful to know a) what you - or a primary care provider / referral MD - told the ENT clinic, in requesting the appointment , b) how you were referred to the particular ENT clinic where you are scheduled to be seen, and c) whether you have any information that suggests you will be seen by an ENT with some particular knowledge of diving physiology and pathophysiology.

I go to an ENT who is also a diver, who was recommended by DAN, and who I have come to trust implicitly because of my perception that she knows about ear issues in divers (notably, I has a Pure Tone Audiogram early in our association because of my reported symptoms of tinnitus, which seems to be worsened by diving in very cold water). I go to an orthopedic surgeon who is team physician for several area college sports teams, and a professional hockey team - because I perceive he specializes in dealing with sports-related injuries, and he understands my goals (return of physical ability that allows me to use my knee and shoulder in sports activities). All of these are admittedly subjective reasons for my choice of physicians. But, I think my goals as a diver / athlete are best facilitated by a provider who understands them based on experience.

Thanks for the replies. My ear test showed no problems. I have posted a detailed reply in the other thread I started.

Back
Top Bottom