Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a Scout for a long time, it's similar to the Stiletto. You can make it work better but it's not ideal. Put the tank as low as you can get it, I have let the top tank band be loose around the tank neck, extend the shoulder straps more than you would normally and most importantly, put a crotch strap on it. If it's like the Scout it was not intended to have one but there are 2 options that work. What I did was to use 2- 1inch wide straps and made 2 straps that run from the 2 gromets in the rear to the 2 in the front. Zeagle sex bolts hold the straps in the rear and front. I used 1inch quick releases with a small section of webbing in the front for doffing and donning. If you look up the Ranger crotch strap, you will get the idea. The next method is to use a 2 inch strap. Thread it around the lower tank band and hold it on with a triglide. In the front, use another triglide to form a loop that you thread through the waist strap. The wasit strap on the BC will feel (and be) lower than you normally wear it and not feel quite right. In the long run you will want a BC or plate that is better suited to DH diving.

Now that the totally new Argonaut is out, which is a BRAND NEW regulator from the ground up, not reworked or refurbished or modified old regulator, maybe you guys should do a little research and find out which existing BC's would work with the reg.
It's been years since I've used or even closely looked at any jacket style or back inflates, but there are a lot of people who use them (most in fact).
They could use what they have if there was a way to find out just how compatible they are with the new Argonaut.
And if not, then they could think about making changes if they wanted to continue the DH pursuit.

Do you think a BC compatibility chart might be a clever idea?

Most of the semi-soft BC units with a single band will work fine. Some with double bands will do as well as long as the upper band is not preventing the tank from being dropped to a good position. The SP Equater, Stab Jacket, AL Zuma etc should be fine.

I do not think DH vs SH, I set all of my rigs up to work with both SH and DH since I use both, the proper tool for the job. A regulator is not a life style, it is a tool. :), well, maybe it is a life style, :wink:. In any case, what will not work are doubles bent plates with STAs. That is a no go because they hold the tank too high from the diver and prevent the regulator from being position correctly between the shoulder blades.

Since I still have a waist (bragging) what I do is use my waist strap to cinch down to hold the BC/wing plate tight to my body, I use a soft webbing crotch strap to prevent it from riding up and I loosen my shoulder straps to allow me good flexibility.

I have used an Equater, I have used a Zuma, I have used several semi-soft plate BCs. Like the Scubaboard mantra, the wing/BP is the thing and the VDH mini plate works great with Oxy wings, that little Hog wing, several others and it is superb with single hose and double hose rigs. The Oxy soft plate is probably the lightest and most comfortable SH/DH capable plate around.

N

There is a crotch strap available. I found it on the Zeagle website. I will probably try to order it and hope it gets here in time.

Thanks for the info. You DH divers are very helpful.

1 inch Crotch Strap

I dove a Scout for a long time, it's similar to the Stiletto. You can make it work better but it's not ideal. Put the tank as low as you can get it, I have let the top tank band be loose around the tank neck, extend the shoulder straps more than you would normally and most importantly, put a crotch strap on it. If it's like the Scout it was not intended to have one but there are 2 options that work. What I did was to use 2- 1inch wide straps and made 2 straps that run from the 2 gromets in the rear to the 2 in the front. Zeagle sex bolts hold the straps in the rear and front. I used 1inch quick releases with a small section of webbing in the front for doffing and donning. If you look up the Ranger crotch strap, you will get the idea. The next method is to use a 2 inch strap. Thread it around the lower tank band and hold it on with a triglide. In the front, use another triglide to form a loop that you thread through the waist strap. The wasit strap on the BC will feel (and be) lower than you normally wear it and not feel quite right. In the long run you will want a BC or plate that is better suited to DH diving.

I take that back, double hose diving is a lifestyle.

But, amongst the double hose clan, I wear my tank higher than all the rest. I kind of poo poo that whole thing, tongue in cheek. Sorry, just had to say it. Ignore me as you wish. I find that good horizontal trim, keeping the tank close to my back with a minimal rig, and, yes, paying at least some heed to proper shoulder blade positioning is all that is needed for me. Wearing my tank so low that my heels hit the boot as I walk like all the clan of double hose do is kind of funny and sorry, but I do not go to that extreme. Good position is important but the tank does not have to drag a furrow behind me as I walk to the entry point.

N

Last edited:
I take that back, double hose diving is a lifestyle.

But, amongst the double hose clan, I wear my tank higher than all the rest. I kind of poo poo that whole thing, tongue in cheek. Sorry, just had to say it. Ignore me as you wish. I find that good horizontal trim, keeping the tank close to my back with a minimal rig, and, yes, paying at least some heed to proper shoulder blade positioning is all that is needed for me. Wearing my tank so low that my heels hit the boot as I walk like all the clan of double hose do is kind of funny and sorry, but I do not go to that extreme. Good position is important but the tank does not have to drag a furrow behind me as I walk to the entry point.

N
That's funny.
Some of the Socal lobster hunters wear the tank so low it's rediculous. They use old style plastic blow moulded back packs and those only had one cam band which is in the middle of the plate. They drop the tank so low that the tank band is damn near at the shoulder of the tank.

IMAGE026.jpg

Here is a friend of mine who wears a huge water heater tank and dives with no BC in a 7mm wetsuit.
You can see how low the tank is set. He found a way to add a second band for security, but still look how much plate is above the tank.
IMAGE069.jpg

They do this in an effort to be able to reach back into crevices a few more inches before the tank valve hits the crevice entrance.
This low tank placement is also used by a few to balance out a diver diving with no BC, since there is no artificial way to correct trim without a BC.
I wear the tank a little lower than what is common these days, but not so low that the middle of the tank is in the center of my butt cheeks.

Well, the Stiletto has a loop on the back so it will accept a crotch strap. I have an American Express Card and the internet. I ordered the 1" crotch strap that Zeagle shows as a BCD accessory. Should be here in plenty of time.

Thanks Guys!

I base my regulator position on it not hitting the back of my head when horizontal and my head tilted all the way back. If you use AL 80's try putting a 5 pound weight on a BC cam strap and attach it to the tank and take 5 pounds off wherever you normally carry weights. This helps prevent the tank pulling up as it goes positive during the dive. Steel 72's work great, they are sightly smaller in diameter which gets the regulator closer to the back and neutral when empty.

I have 4 lbs on the cam strap now. (2-2lbers one on each side on the lower band). That is with a AL 80, I just use the tanks from the dive op, I don't own any of my own.

I don't plan on doing any dives that would be more than 30' with it for now anyway, at least until I get used to the differences. I don't know if I will be able to tell much of a difference if I stay that shallow. I will probably end up looking for a BPW but my dive gear budget it pretty much shot right now. The good news is that my upcoming trip is paid for and I have time to find a BPW that I can use for both regulators after I get back. I should be able to sort out to a reasonable level in the pool.

From the looks of some of the pictures I have of me I am going to be dropping the tank by around 4" or so and still have plenty of space for the top cam strap to have a good grip.44.jpg

Thanks again for your help.

I base my regulator position on it not hitting the back of my head when horizontal and my head tilted all the way back. If you use AL 80's try putting a 5 pound weight on a BC cam strap and attach it to the tank and take 5 pounds off wherever you normally carry weights. This helps prevent the tank pulling up as it goes positive during the dive. Steel 72's work great, they are sightly smaller in diameter which gets the regulator closer to the back and neutral when empty.

Remember the tank top starts to roll over so if you max it out, many times the band will work its way off the top during the dive..might as well go ahead and put it there to start with.....and tell your buddies that the band will likely move...otherwise you may have them wanting to "fix" it for you underwater.

Depth wise the regulator preformance and characteristics for the most part do not change so you should not notice any differences at 30 ft or 130 ft. The one minor exception is the venturi function increases slightly as depth increase due to the increased density of the air flowing through it. The difference is minor and you have to be looking for the difference to really notice it. My Argo has been down to 130 a couple of times, to 100 a good bit and I know some of the guys took them to 150 just to see how they preformed.

The Kraken has arrived.:D

I can't wait to get a real look at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom