Propeller accident after diving at Galápagos Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathalie.

I do hope you are recovering well. Thank you for being brave enough to discuss and tell your story here. I have always owned and had a SMB and spool and thought that most people had them and used them. Your incident along with all the associated discussion has shown this is clearly not the case. Your accident has highlighted this to many and hopefully will prevent accidents in the future.

Never fear about a knee replacement, there is life, diving and walking after it. I have had mine done for 2 years and it has given me new life and no pain. I live life and dive, what else is there to do but this. Just get used to setting off the alarms in the airports and being frisked every flight. A small price to pay for the freedom of movement.

Be well and enjoy life

A propeller guard for a fixed prop as found with an inboard engine is relatively easy, and I have often seen them. A guard for an outboard is extremely difficult as the engine moves around so much. I discussed them with boat builders here (Belize) and never found a way. I don't think it's anything to do with the power of the engine.

As to the boat captain's conduct, it isn't enough to say he "usually gets it right". He didn't on this occasion. I know other boat captains, mostly inexperienced ones, who customarily reverse towards divers - that to me is a no-no. manoeuvering a boat to pick up divers is actually a difficult skill, and I have never seen it taught - just learned on the job. There are certain basics that should be taught though, and I'd like to see them incorporated into boat captaincy skills, at least here in Belize. Similarly there are considerable skills and requirements on the divers themselves, such as surfacing as a group and staying in a group. None of which lessens the dreadful impact this has had on you, and for which you have my deepest sympathy.

Very tragic yet intesersting story. Thanks for sharing your adverse expenence. I have on more than one dive heard voats overhead and feared for the worst. I wis you a very well and speedy recovery and many of safe future dives.

Thank, Dandy Don. I've been using an SMB for some time now but its certainly a great skill to practice when playing around in the pool.
Not like I have much else to do. Go to the VA and have wheelchair races in the hallways with the guys, I guess.

Thank, Dandy Don. I've been using an SMB for some time now but its certainly a great skill to practice when playing around in the pool.
Not like I have much else to do. Go to the VA and have wheelchair races in the hallways with the guys, I guess.

This looks like a hoot...!!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but a question popped in my mind - didn't you risk the bends and serious complications by flying an aircraft so quickly after a dive? I can understand flying a small aircraft with uncompressed cabin at relatively low altitude...

Sent from my GT-N7000

Sorry to hear about your accident. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but a question popped in my mind - didn't you risk the bends and serious complications by flying an aircraft so quickly after a dive? I can understand flying a small aircraft with uncompressed cabin at relatively low altitude...

Sent from my GT-N7000
I totally missed that? :eek: I suppose in The Gallops it may be a needed risk, adjusted with inflight Oxygen.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Even if you are already bent they may send you flying due to the urgency of your medical circumstances. It isn't ideal but it is the fastest way of transporting you long distances.

A doctor cleared me for flying, based on my diveprofile and the time between surfacing and the flight. Many hours had already passed and I'd been on oxygen the whole time. (Though my boyfriend was not, he did worry a bit while flying...) Decision to fly was a no-brainer. Without it I would not have survived, I would have bled to death. There are no medical facilities on the Galápagos equiped for my kind of injuries, neither is there spare blood. The nearest medical plane was based in Panama. Don't know what it was doing all the way there.

Nathalie.

Last edited:
Not specifically relevant to this accident but small tip:

If you want to descend quickly (to avoid a hazard for example) point your fins down (as well as the usual deflating BCD, exhaling etc). It makes a surprising difference to speed of descent.

Glad the OP made it out alive. Wish many years of happy diving. And living.

John

Back
Top Bottom