Provo dive op recommendation - single diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My family and I will be returning to T&C this summer. We were there in 2012, and I did a resort course with Ocean Vibes. Since then, I earned my OW and AOW and have dived in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family who dives, so I don't have a buddy. From what I've read of various ops, single divers go with the DM as a group. In Grand Cayman, the op I dove with only took 6 divers and would have 2 DMs in the water (once we even had 3). The second DM would take anyone who needed to ascend early, leaving the rest of the group down. In Cozumel, since they were drift dives, the DM just had people ascend on their own as their air got low. Based on those experiences, I have better than average air consumption (being a petite woman helps), and would be frustrated if I had to cut short my time because others in the group needed to ascend early.

So, based on that, does anyone have a recommendation for a dive operator in Provo? I would love to find an op like I had in Grand Cayman (Indigo Divers), but realize that's not likely. I've looked at Flamingo Divers, Turtle Divers, Dive Provo, Caicos Adventures, and then decided to ask for help. :) Basically, I'm looking to maximize dive time preferably with a small boat operator.

Thanks!

My suggestion is to contact the shop/op directly to discuss what you were looking for. When I dove solo with Dive Provo, I recall that you found a buddy on the boat or dove with a dm and group. The DM always ended the dive back under the boat where you were free to stay longer as others ascended. I believe as long as the DM had air, you could hang out under the boat as long as you wanted even if your buddy ascended, but you may want to double check.

I typically dive with Dive Provo and would recommend them. Given that you would prefer a smaller group check out Flamingo. They max out at 8 on the boat and they are solid. They fill up early so check soon.

Other info on Provo just message me

When will you be there? My wife and I are returning this summer too (June 7-14) for the third time in four years and I would love to buddy up rather than get stuck in a group too.

I've had awesome experiences in the last few years with Caicos Adventures and would highly recommend their crews!

First, all great operators for different reasons. Flamingo is a great call, but often booked a year out. If you've got the appropriate experience to dive solo, have a candid conversation with Big Blue Unlimited. That said, with the others you might find an appropriate buddy. Go to the dock early and get to know the DM's. That will go a LONG way, and tip well on day 1 if you can.

If you need/want the extra attention of a DM or Instructor, any of them can/will provide it, but there *may* be an associated charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom