Provo vs US Virgin Islands???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorpiofish once bubbled...
Suggest using another operator if possible, which requires schlepping your gear somewhere.

I used Caicos Adventures. Only schlepped my gear on the 1st and last day of diving. They rinsed and stored my gear all week.

I've dived Provo, but I spent much more time in the USVI over several years preparing to try a case in what is nominally a US Territory.

Provo is a nice resort island. St. Thomas and St. Croix are part of a resentful third world country with US-style crime that happens to have beaches. And the people of USVI have a degree of overt hostility that you just don't find in islands of the Britiish Commonwealth. The Navy boycotted USVI for several years due to violence against sailors on leave. I hear there are some good dive sights on St. Croix, but business is down after some divers were murdered there a year or so ago.

If you go to Provo, be sure to do a dive at French Key or one of the fine distant reefs.

Last year we went and dove with the Beaches dive staff. My wife and I buddy dived so we got into the water at each dive site and moved ahead of the groups. Take took us to some really nice sites and we saw some nice reef sharks at Northwest Point. I wouldn't dive with the groups if you can avoid since there are lots of marginal divers. Pick up a Dive computer if you don't have one since the Divemaster will restrict your depth and time without.

We booked a Thursday 3-tanker with Caicos Adventures - Fifi. It was fun but we were supposed to go to French Cay but a lady on our boat was Sea Sick and settled for West Caicos for the 3rd dive. I was there before and it was nice but NW point on Provo rivals that location. It wasn't all that Tim and Co. cracked it up to be guess we had a bad day! Fifi has computers to rent if you need.

The food and drink at Beaches is excellent the Buffets are real good and fresh. There are KIds there I have 2 and I guess you don't notice the rest as much if you have some with you. As far as shopping goes - Provo is nothing compared to Mexico or St Thomas.

Good Luck..

Thad,

Ya'll should have insisted on French Cay. It would have been worth it. As you get away from the islands, the reefs are magnificent.

There's usually a quesy diver on any boat ride over an hour. That shouldn't veto the trip when the rest of you paid for a special dive.

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
Thad,

Ya'll should have insisted on French Cay. It would have been worth it. As you get away from the islands, the reefs are magnificent.

There's usually a quesy diver on any boat ride over an hour. That shouldn't veto the trip when the rest of you paid for a special dive.

And the ride to French Cay is usually smooth as glass.

Was at Beeaches last year. The diving is great! When I was there they bussed us to the other side of the Island to catch the dive boat. Not that much of a hassle but my wife and I (non-diver) go to Beaches/Breezes/Sandals alot and most of them have the dive boat at the resort.

I would definately recommend Beaches, it is an excellent vacation! Anyone who doesn't love it is just not right:confused:

It's an expensive vacation though, we're going to try the Allegro this year just for cost considerations.

One last word of advice on Beaches - Make sure you get a pool float early before the kids build a mountain out of them in the middle of the pool.:wink:

I agree with others who recommended Fifi at Caicos Adventures. I did my OW cert with them years ago, and was told by experienced divers I was with that I was getting spoiled by starting with Caicos Adventures....several years later I have to agree. I've been out with some pretty good outfits, but none have exceeded my experience with Fifi and his operation. I also agree French Cay should be a priority. Although the wall off West Caicos was pretty awesome as well.

Enjoy!!

Joe

Welcome to Scubaboard! You dug up a really old thread for your first post!

Tim Ingersoll:
The diving in Provo beats the USVI by a mile. They are simply not in the same class. My wife is also a non-diver and we have been going to the TCI for years. I would take it, and so would she, over USVI any day. You won't have cruise ship class shopping but the people and beaches are so much better. If you end up in Provo make sure you dive with Caicos Adventures. They are the best on the island.

What he said!

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :dazzler1:

Back
Top Bottom