PSD: Mote Marine Artificial Reef cleanup $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Posting this up so folks know that this is going on! Be aware that this is not free for participation. It's $30 through tomorrow, $40 if you show up to do the clean up dive on Saturday. Unfortunately I did not know about this weeks ago to try and organize something, but I also have plans this weekend.... If anyone participates, please share your experience!

Mote calls for divers to help clean artificial reefs

By STAFF REPORT
Published by news-press.com on July 27, 2005

Divers still have time to register for Mote Marine Laboratory’s Inaugural Artificial Reef Cleanup and Treasure Hunt set for Saturday.

Participating divers have the chance to win prizes including fins, snorkels, a regulator, a dive computer and a buoyancy control device, or BCD.

An awards ceremony and barbecue will follow.

The cleanup will focus on nine reef sites in Sarasota Bay ranging from 45 feet deep to 60 feet deep.

The artificial reefs, made up of concrete culverts, old box cars, bridges, barges, Army tanks and Reef Modules by Reef Innovations, are designed to increase and enhance recreational fishing and diving activities.

Before the hunt begins, organizers will hide small artificial reef balls painted gold and designated with a number. Divers who find these gold “rocks” will be awarded prizes after the cleanup ends.

Prizes will also be awarded for “Most Trash Collected” and “Most Unusual Trash Collected.”

Register by calling Brett Ramey Blackburn at (941) 388-4441, ext. 420.

Final registration and captain’s meeting begins at 8 a.m. Divers and boat captains should meet at the chickee hut behind Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway.

Cost to participate is $30 through July 29 and $40 the day of the dive. Fee includes a T-shirt and free beach barbecue sponsored by Smokey’s Barbecue.

CBulla:
Posting this up so folks know that this is going on! Be aware that this is not free for participation. It's $30 through tomorrow, $40 if you show up to do the clean up dive on Saturday. Unfortunately I did not know about this weeks ago to try and organize something, but I also have plans this weekend.... If anyone participates, please share your experience!

Intersting....with only 2 non-class dives under my belt, I wonder if I should hold off on this type of dive?

Hmm... question is how comfortable are you underwater. You'll possibly be in an area where there is an entanglement hazard and if your not comfortable enough with your gear and your skills, more than just the entanglement is the hazard at that point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom