Trip Report Puerto Costa Maya / Mahahual - Gypsea Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
TLDR - Good operator, would use again. Easy to get to from the Puerto Costa Maya (Mahahual) cruise terminal if you’re coming in on a cruise.

I dove with Gypsea Divers on April 8, 2024 while on a cruise stop in Puerto Costa Maya, which is a marketing term for the cruise terminal just north of Mahahual. This was my first time there.

Booking: Booked via email, Catherine (I believe she’s the owner) was very responsive and helpful.

Location: Next to the Nacional Beach Club, a 10 minute taxi ride from the cruise terminal ($8 USD). There were plenty of taxis waiting right outside the cruise terminal.

Check in: Very easy. Catherine already had my infromation, just had to fill out the standard waiver and show my C-card. Since I had all my own gear, there was no need to get anything other than weights. Note - for those renting it looked like they had Cresi equipment that appeared to be well-maintained.

Trip to boat: The boat is a 3-minute walk from the shop to the beach area (they carried my dive bag in a cart for me). There is no dock, the boat is anchored 4’ from the water’s edge along the beach.

Boat: Small 6-person boat with simple outboard motor the captain steers directly from the stern. There was a canopy for shade. No mention of safety equipment or procedures, but the life vests and first air gear was clearly visible. No dunk tanks.

Dives: The dive sites are at most a 5 min ride out from the beach to the reef. First dive was Escalones, 65’ max depth along the reef. Everyone backrolled into the water together (boat was too small to giant stride). Group traveled together along the reef behind Catherine. Catherine checked everyone’s air, and when someone was below 700 psi, she shot a DSMB and we all rose for the 3-minute safety stop. After the stop was finished, everyone surfaced together and the boat picked us up and we returned to shore (5 minutes). Total dive time was 56 minutes.

The SI was back at the shop and consisted of water, baked goods, and fresh pineapple. After the SI, we went back to the boat and out again for the second dive, which was 40 Canyons, 65’ foot max depth along the reef. The second dive went exactly like the first. Total dive time was 57 minutes.

I found the reef to appear healthy with plenty of life.

The shop has a fresh-water dunk tank, hanging racks, outdoor shower, and indoor bathroom for rinsing off/changing afterwards. There were plenty of taxis waiting along the street, so it was easy to get back to the cruise terminal.

Overall I had a good time and good dives. I recommend Gypsea Divers and didn't experience anything concerning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom