Pulsing Ear After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you're right that it's getting better, but based on your symptoms it's more likely that your problem is within the middle ear and so the ear beer shouldn't be the reason for improvement. please keep us posted.

I wonder where Doctormike is?

If you have an outer ear infection there is generally pain. The pain would get worse with immersion. Ear beer should sting like hell for a bit, like putting alcohol or vinegar on a cut, which is essentially what you are doing. Pulling on the ear itself also should cause some pain. No pain with pulling or ear beer > not likely an outer ear infection.

Ear canal blockage is possible from ear wax. There would be no pain. Ear beer would not help much. There may be muffling of sound like cotton in your ear. Your 'pulsing' may be an indicator of that. There are preparations for softening the wax and then flushing it out with a small rubber bulb and warm soapy water. Ear beer will NOT soften it or help removal.
It can take several tries over days to get it out. Flush over a white or clear bowl or sink, then you can see the wax plug when it comes out. You generally know it because the muffled sound goes away instantly. Be gentle but persistent.
DO NOT GO POKING AROUND IN THERE WITH A COTTON SWAB. YOU'LL PROBABLY MAKE IT WORSE.

Most likely you have an inner ear squeeze and there is fluid in there. There will be no change in pain if you pull on the ear. You may have a similar muffled sound or the pulsing which makes it hard for some people to tell the difference to an outer ear problem. (I don't understand HOW people can't tell the difference, but it's common).
It will re-absorb and take care of itself over time as long as you don't get a secondary inner ear infection. Ear beer or ear dry is useless for this, but it won't hurt either.

Hi,
the terrible pulsing sound is gone, thank you guys so much, scubaboard rocks, I appreciate it.
PS.
if you want to get to know tasmania, dirt biking, diving, etc, just let me know
Cheers
B4e

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom