Question about cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is great that you recognize the dangers. The reality is you might not have much luck with your friend who has such a "cavalier attitude", but it is worth trying. Remind him that actions like he took the other day have killed many divers. The 911 videos UCFDIVER posted are a great place to start. We had to watch those when I took my Cavern class.

I would explain that if he has no regard for his safety, at least consider the safety of others. I would certainly speak with the diver that had the problem in the cavern. Explain to her the complete stupidity of doing a "trust me" dive. At least for her this incident can possibly be a teachable moment. Many new divers still have a relationship with their instructor. Maybe their instructor could help impress on them the dangers of overhead environments.

Obviously how you say something can be as important as what you say. But don't worry about making your friend mad....just tell him you are only saying this to him because you would rather have him mad at you and alive, then remain dead friends!

hopefully someone can meet him and maybe hop in the water with him somewhere. maybe a blue grotto type place. I'd do it but I'm out of commission for a while

Also mention to him if he kacks, or gets someone else kacked, in one of the caves; and that cave subsequently gets closed... he'll have alot of very ticked off cave divers after him.

Already on it. asl?

Lulz

Order the DVD "A Deceptively Easy way to Die" off of the website found at: National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section and click on the "shop" tab. I saw a link to this DVD on YouTube on an post prior to this one, if this link works ask your friend to watch it.
A Deceptively easy way to Die

Be vigilant with your friend and insist that he mends his ways before he becomes a statistic. Encourage him to take a cavern class.

+ 1 for Hudson and Capt_Jim_Wyatt. I watched that tape when beginning my cave education in Florida, and it scared the pants off me. Another thing that might work for your friend: point him (and his companion) in the direction of the accidents/incidents board. Maybe he'll recognize himself in some of those situations, and back the hell off. I hope your mate manages to meet some of the cave divers that have already offered their services on this thread, too - jolly decent of them.

It's a hard situation, no question about it. Some folks simply don't know how dangerous their actions can be, and are very amenable to changing their ways once they've been presented with the facts (facts that in cave diving's case, were learned at the awful cost of people's lives). Others won't listen whatsoever, and still others will nod and pay lip-service to the need for cave-training and experience, before turning 'round and breaking the rules anyway. I truly hope your mate falls into the first category. All the very best. He's lucky to have a friend like you.

I think, if he's the kind of person I suspect he is, the best thing is to strongly encourage him into a cavern class. If he's a daredevil, he's isn't going to stop doing what he's doing just because somebody tells him to, or because somebody ELSE got into trouble. But doing a lost line drill might -- just might -- give him a wake-up call.

All of my recreational students have to watch the videos in my signature line. Unfortunately, more instructors don't do that. I'll be at Vortex the next couple of days if your friend is available. If he's willing, I can take him on a dive that will change his attitude... :crafty:

All of my recreational students have to watch the videos in my signature line. Unfortunately, more instructors don't do that. I'll be at Vortex the next couple of days if your friend is available. If he's willing, I can take him on a dive that will change his attitude... :crafty:
I've heard that about diving with you! :D

I'll be speaking with him tonight, so I'll let you guys know on Friday how it goes. I'll make sure he knows about the offers from you guys to teach him a little something. Maybe he'll actually take the opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom