Question about strong currents around Saba & St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJimDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading up on some trip reports to try to help me decide where to take my son diving next year the 1st week of April. We have narrowed it down to 2 liveaboards, Belize and the St. Kitts/St. Maarten itinerary on Caribbean Explorer II. I already posed these qeustions on the Liveaboard forum but so far no response, since my questions are more about dive conditions thought I would also post here.

I think we'd prefer the CEII St. Kitts/St. Maarten itinerary, but I have concerns (mainly due to some Trip Reports I've read) that diving around St. Kitts and Saba could involve farily strong and constant currents. While my son is pretty athletic he's 15 years old and still on the lean side, I'm concerned if it is a weeklong battle with currents it would tire him out over this many dives in a week (on our last few LOB trips he has been doing almost all the dives, ~ 24+). He's fine on drift dives (though CEII doesn't seem to do them), and has handled strong currents well on occasional dives here and there, but I would have more reluctance to chose this itinerary if the currents were a constant throughut the region.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it: are the reports of currents oversated? Are they stronger or weaker during any particular time of year? Just around specific areas (I heard they can be strong around the pinnacles by Saba)?

Thanks!

The boat will only be at Saba a couple of days. and yes the currents can be very strong there.

I would not let that factor alone impact my decision.

DD

bigjimdiver,
i think it is great that you are taking your son on a liveaboard.
i have been on the two boats you mentioned.
i feel that the quality of the reef system is healthier in belize than in st kittes.
you won't find the currents in belize like you would in saba.
imo
regards,

Thanks for your comments. With pretty good arifare R/T Newark-St. Maarten we decided to do the St. Kitts/Saba trip on CEII; however from the positive responses received on the Belize Aggressor, that just might be our trip for the following year.

I do enjoy my trips with my son; however I have spoiled him, it's all he has done after trying diving with a resort course in Jamaica in '08. Two years on the Aquacat, and this year on the Cayman Aggressor. It's a good time for us to bond away from the girls (Mom/wife & sister/daughter) for a week :)-). He tells me it's the only way we to go, that we won't get enough diving if we go land based. Tough life, eh?

Thanks for your comments. With pretty good arifare R/T Newark-St. Maarten we decided to do the St. Kitts/Saba trip on CEII; however from the positive responses received on the Belize Aggressor, that just might be our trip for the following year.

I do enjoy my trips with my son; however I have spoiled him, it's all he has done after trying diving with a resort course in Jamaica in '08. Two years on the Aquacat, and this year on the Cayman Aggressor. It's a good time for us to bond away from the girls (Mom/wife & sister/daughter) for a week :)-). He tells me it's the only way we to go, that we won't get enough diving if we go land based. Tough life, eh?

If you have a tight budget year - Coco view on Roatan can give you a good value and lots of diving for your dollar.

Belize diving is very easy and there are no currents to speak of. We did the Sun Dancer II in Belize and loved it. We just booked the CEII for September and are looking forward to the diving. We have dove Cozumel for many years, how does the current compare??

Belize is far better than the St. Kitts/St. Martin trip. Much easier diving and the reef system is superior.

The currents I faced in Saba were VERY strong. I aborted 2 dives because it was not worth it.

Unlike the diving in Coz where you go with the current and get picked up wherever you surface, in Saba you have to fight it, going into the current at the start and ride it coming back.

I have dived all over the world, and chose to move to St. Kitts as the diving there is amazing. Little to no currents ever, (I dive there 6 days a week and know the waters). There is amazzing stuff to see, and if you have any questions, check out Trip Advisor under Kenneth's Dive Center and you will see the comments. It's amazing! Big stuff, little stuff, reefs, wrecks, and more! VERY family friendly! No worries!

Can't wait to see you if you visit St. Kitts! Cheers! Wendy

Not sure where or when you were diving in St. Kitts, but the diving and reef is amazingly healthy in St. Kitts! No currents either!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom