Question About Twinset/double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdfd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gents I'm new to scuba diving, I just got certified as a open water scuba diver and have 10 divers under my belt + OW course dives. I'm very interested in to buying a twinset/double hose set up mainly for the looks. So here are my questions :

Do I need special training for twinset/double hose setup?

How much money am I looking to spend on this?

Do I need a special BC for the twinset and where would my console/octopus be setup at? Thanks fellas

Yes you need training.....and experience. I am hoping you are really new and not just a troll.
A decent instructor won't train you until you have more experience.

Yes you need training.....and experience. I am hoping you are really new and not just a troll.
A decent instructor won't train you until you have more experience.
I'm not a troll? I'm talking about the old style double hose/twinset. Not a CCR or some mix gas twinset

Fair enough, my appologies, but it doesn't change the answers.
With a set of doubles you have the opportunity to get into more risky and dangerous situationso that you are most likely not prepared for. Check out the requirements to take PADI tech 40 or a TDI course where you learn how to use doubles.
Since you mentioned mostly for looks, I would focus on getting a really good looking wetsuit first and practice with that before the doubles.

well it all depends on how well you were trained before and if you can find someone to teach you how to dive it properly. If you are after it for the look, it is going to be a rather expensive hunt. I would recommend going to the vintage double hose forum and talking to them.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/

I disagree with taking a course on how to use doubles as you won't be using them the way any of the agencies are going to teach you, but finding appropriate tanks and the manifold for the "look" is not going to be cheap or easy

Looking at your question from a different angle, from a certification point of view, I don't think you need training in order to buy and own twin sets. That said, the most common reason for owning twins is to facilitate tech diving which you most certainly do need training for.

Even if you wanted to own a set of twins for non tech purposes, I would suggest some form of training.

Read up on tech diving to establish if it is something you want to do. If so then carry on diving reecreationally to gain experience while working towards the prerequisits of a basic/intro tech course.

Fair enough, my appologies, but it doesn't change the answers.
With a set of doubles you have the opportunity to get into more risky and dangerous situationso that you are most likely not prepared for. Check out the requirements to take PADI tech 40 or a TDI course where you learn how to use doubles.
Since you mentioned mostly for looks, I would focus on getting a really good looking wetsuit first and practice with that before the doubles.
Eh you have to be 18 years old with multi certs. I might aswell get a advanced open water cert/nitrox before I get in to double tanks. Could I still just buy a double hose reg?

I didn't say to take the course. I said to look at the requirements to take the course. Having all of 10 dives, regardless of training quality would not qualify. I'm surprised anyone would disagree. Usually those with only a few hundred dives are still considered noobs here!!

I didn't say to take the course. I said to look at the requirements to take the course. Having all of 10 dives, regardless of training quality would not qualify. I'm surprised anyone would disagree. Usually those with only a few hundred dives are still considered noobs here!!

I still don't see your point dude, I simply want to look at fish with old style type scuba gear. I don't want to go 400 feet down and with a CCR rig doing cave diving with just 10 dives bro.

The dives I do are just looking at fish 40feet and up. I know my limits and I'm not stupid

Unless you've got a mentor or a bunch of dives it's going to be a steep learning curve for the double hose.

Modern doubles are not really appropriate for double hose regs. The two outlets aren't positioned right and the DIN connection won't work with the yoke fitting on the double hose. Even with a yoke adapter there isn't enough room to use a banjo fitting for a spg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom