Question About Twinset/double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes one can dive double small tanks the same as a larger tank. Agreed.
I'm a little disappointed that the OP being a new diver with 10 dives wanting to look cool is being encouraged to avoid training and do it the 'old school' way. I know it worked for many but do you know it will work for him. I have sons in their 20s and shudder at the advice. They grew up so differently than those ' back in the day'...including me.
Happy and safe diving.

Yes one can dive double small tanks the same as a larger tank. Agreed.
I'm a little disappointed that the OP being a new diver with 10 dives wanting to look cool is being encouraged to avoid training and do it the 'old school' way. I know it worked for many but do you know it will work for him. I have sons in their 20s and shudder at the advice. They grew up so differently than those ' back in the day'...including me.
Happy and safe diving.
I'm a fast learner, I've watched some videos on how to clear a DH and how to buddy breath. I will definitely start off with a single tank and go to the pool with my OW I with 20 years under his belt. I apologize if I came off a little aggressive on my last post to you, I was having a argument with my girl friend about some things that I rather not post here. After all I'm just a 15 soon to be 16 year old teenage boy, thanks for your advice bro.

There is no doubt that a double hose regulator and a set of doubles is cool. My buddies and I learned on double hose regulators and single 72 tanks. As a matter of fact, my first few hundred dives were on that system. It was cool - Mike Nelson, James Bond, and Jacque Cousteau were all cool when I was 18; however, there have been many, many changes in diving equipment over the last 50 or so years that have improved comfort, capability, and most importantly, safety. Let me encourage you to continue your adventure with a more contemporary training regimen and then, after a little more experience and when the opportunity presents itself, try the double hose experience. Be sure to get pictures so that you can post them on your 'Scubaboard' avatar - I know I did. But most of all, have fun and be safe.

There is no doubt that a double hose regulator and a set of doubles is cool. My buddies and I learned on double hose regulators and single 72 tanks. As a matter of fact, my first few hundred dives were on that system. It was cool - Mike Nelson, James Bond, and Jacque Cousteau were all cool when I was 18; however, there have been many, many changes in diving equipment over the last 50 or so years that have improved comfort, capability, and most importantly, safety. Let me encourage you to continue your adventure with a more contemporary training regimen and then, after a little more experience and when the opportunity presents itself, try the double hose experience. Be sure to get pictures so that you can post them on your 'Scubaboard' avatar - I know I did. But most of all, have fun and be safe.

You look pretty bad ass in that avatar, was that a DH rig?

I'm a little disappointed that the OP being a new diver with 10 dives wanting to look cool is being encouraged to avoid training and do it the 'old school' way.

First, he is a diver and now can do anything he wants.

Second recommending The New Science of Shin and SCUBA Diving was encouraging more training. As a matter of fact that book was the basis of SCUBA training in the US, and lasted into the '90's when the Agencies had their own manuals, based on that book, the difference being they split the materials into several courses. A kid, no offense ffdfd, interested in diving, reading, and practicing exercises out of that book will be a better diver. Not to mention it has specific instruction for double hose.

Last, everyone wants to look cool, or already thinks they are. Otherwise a why would ScubaBoard have avatars, likes, trophys, sig lines, or different opinions, and so on.

Bob

Diving is pretty simple, you swim down. swim around and swim up.

Hey, Bob - don't tell anybody but me and my friends learned deco diving in the public library from the US Navy manual - then we did simulated deco diving, then we did actual dives based on what we learned. All of us lived to tell the tale :)

I thought that's how everyone did it. Wasn't until I got on ScubaBoard that found out there were classes and deco divers were so special (cool for those following the thread) that they gave themselves a special name. Somehow, when I wasn't looking, a piece of plastic trumps the expertise.

Bob

Just to add a bit to what Herman said, there were a few double hose regulators in the 1960s and 1970s that did have both HP and LP ports. One was the AMF Voit Trieste regulator, which also was a bit of a hard breather due to a few design problems (ineffective venturi, stiff diaphragm). Another was the Sportsways HydroTwin and Duel Air regulators, but these are very pricy now and also very hard to find. The photo of me by Bruce Higgins below shows me using a single 80 cubic foot steel tank, with my Trieste II regulator (that I still dive), with an octopus, inflator and SPG in 1975 or so. I'm also in an Aquala dry suit, over a farmer John bottom wet suit with a sweater.

If you want another good read, and it illustrates the history of scuba, pick up The Silent World, by Jacques Cousteau. When I started diving in 1959, at the age of fourteen (buying my used scuba gear with bean and strawberry picking money made during that summer), I read this book several times before actually diving. Believe it or not, it is not only entertaining, but also gives a lot of basic dive safety information too (through experience, some of it not-so-good experience). I started on a double hose regulator, and was certified in scuba some four years later. But at that time, there were no instructors in my area, we had to import Roy France from LA County to do our instruction. So you have a leg up on me, as you have already gotten the instruction.

The basics are all the same between single hose and double hose diving. The only difference is that with the double hose regulator, you have two non-return valves in the mouthpiece, one on the intake (right hose) and one on the exhalation side of the mouthpiece (left side hose). The mouthpiece should be balanced so that it does not cause any pull up or down in your mouth (loosen the hose clamps, and balance the mouthpiece on your finger horizontally with the regulator about four inches below, then tighten the clamps again--don't forget that part :wink: ). To clear the mouthpiece, simple tilt your head left-side down, then blow. Alternatively, lift the mouthpiece above the regulator and let water pressure initiate a free flow, then put the mouthpiece in your mouth. The other noticeable difference is the bubbles behind your head, instead of in your face.

Try your rig out in the pool for several times before taking it into open water. I call this "qualifying" the rig, but it is also to get you used to the gear in a supervised environment.

'Hope this helps. Come back and talk about it if you decide to buy used gear, as there are several things about used double hose regulators you need to be aware of. Also, the maintenance on a double hose is a bit different than on a single hose regulator.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Dry Suit Dive, Clear Lake.jpg
    Dry Suit Dive, Clear Lake.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom