Question About Twinset/double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steel Scuba Tanks

The front black set is for sale, they are what I used with my double hose.
Okay, just another short spiel here, about Craig's List. I bought my first regulators off Craig's List this year, after decades of buying either from a Local Dive Shop (LDS) or off E-Bay. Craig's List is a different ball game. If you decide to buy from Craig's List, meet in a public place with a friend with you. Check out the gear, and if it is not working, ask for a price reduction or walk away. I put these regulators on a full tank, and they leaked like a sieve. I took about $50 off the price with that.

The tanks in question look good, but with tanks make sure they can pass a hydrostatic test and visual inspection before buying them. This goes for both aluminum tanks (actually, especially aluminum tanks) and steel tanks. The bands on these tanks require a backpack for use, and the backpack is a specific Scubapro backpack. I find, for doubles, that the old, "military" harness is the most comfortable with a double hose regulator. It keeps the tanks near my back, and the two tanks rest on the heavy muscles of the back and buttocks, whereas the backpack rests on the spine.

Here are several photos, the first of a diver with a single tank and backpack.

This is Nemrod, from this Vintage Scuba board, in (I think) Silver Springs, Florida.

From the U.S. Navy Diving Manual, March 1970, showing the military harness, and how close to the diver's back the double hose regulator is located, and between the shoulder blades too (along with those humungous, heavy twin AL 90s the Navy had). There is a set of bands currently on E-Bay, just to show you an example.

These are my twin 45s, with a modified milatary harness, that I like quite a lot.

But for simplicity, and learning, I would stick with the single steel 72.

SeaRat

I'm a little disappointed that the OP being a new diver with 10 dives wanting to look cool is being encouraged to avoid training and do it the 'old school' way.
I am not altogether sure that the OP is 'being encouraged to avoid training' through many of the response posts. I think he is looking for advice on learning to use a DH rig, as a newer diver, for the same kind of reasonably shallow, and enjoyable, dives that many most newer divers pursue. The difference is the rig that he wishes to use. As for looking 'cool', the expanding color palette of commercially available diving gear suggests that there are quite a few divers out there who want to look 'cool', even if their definition of 'cool' may be different than mine. :)

I don't think that pursuing tec training is necessary for the OP at this point, to achieve his immediate goals. I personally agree that tec training a great idea for recreational divers - it really does help develop and expand their skill set and knowledge base. He would need a larger experience base (# of dives) to meet the Tec 40 prerequisites.

He has been given several suggested approaches to learning to dive a DH rig, and to acquiring 'modern', reliable equipment. The New Science . . . is an excellent book, that I frequently recommend to my OW and AOW students, to provide a perspective on the evolution of diving and dive training. It is by no means a substitute for contemporary OW manuals; rather it augments their learning. Frankly, I wish contemporary manuals were as information-rich, and less focused on photographic bling, as that particular book.

Learning to use a DH rig can be accomplished by working with an experienced DH diver, as easily - possibly easier - than 'taking a class'. There are a number of very competent, and 'younger' DH divers, like herman (who is much younger than I am), who can provide excellent mentoring, even though they are not instructors.

I applaud the OP for his enthusiasm, and wish him well.

I applaud the OP for his enthusiasm, and wish him well.
I agree. It's easy to question motives of others when you've chosen a different direction. Why? Dive and let dive! I have to admit that part of the reason I became an instructor was the 'cool' factor. Divers and dive ops treat me differently because of it. The same can be said about being the owner of ScubaBoard. I do enjoy the notoriety. Those who think they're above looking cool are only deceiving themselves. It can be convincingly argued that their comments are designed to make them look cool by making others look less cool. What's the point? Dive and let dive.

Obviously, the biggest problem in this thread was the location it was first posted: technical diving. Our OP was thinking one thing, while many of us thought he was thinking something else. Man, I remember the first time I put on a set of twin 72s. I felt cool! Beyond that, I found them incredibly stable and all around fun to dive. Hell, I enjoyed the kids asking if I was a real scuba diver as I sauntered down to the water. Why not? In this world focused so much on negativity, this was indeed a positive experience. I love it.

........................................Learning to use a DH rig can be accomplished by working with an experienced DH diver, as easily - possibly easier - than 'taking a class'. There are a number of very competent, and 'younger' DH divers, like herman (who is much younger than I am), who can provide excellent mentoring, even though they are not instructors. ...........................

I'm not that much younger than you... :) Colliam7 and myself are old friends.

Diving a double hose or smaller doubles is not really difficult, just different. The whole idea that you can't learn to do something safely without a class or instructor is pure BS. Most of what I have learned in life has been from mentors or self taught. There are many times a GOOD instructor can add to what you learn and/or facilitate your learning easier but as long as the learning can be done safely, there is no good reason not to teach yourself how to do something. Granted, there are things that do require an instructor to learn to do safely but most diving does not fall into that category.
Personally, I like the cool factor of a DH reg, no one walks up and ask about my Zeagle or Conshelf but put on a DH hose and lots of people are interested. I don't dive them specifically for that reason but it's a bonus. I dive them because I prefer the way they feel, they are quieter than single hose regs and fish are not as afraid of them, as a photographer, this is a big plus because I usually can get closer to my subject.

OP - find a mentor, and have some fun. I love diving my vintage single hose regulators, my modern double hose (Kraken), and I soon will be diving a few vintage/modified double hose regulators too (both as single tank, and vintage doubles configuration). They are fun, and functional. Plus, it drives the egocentric LDS DM (who is the self proclaimed scuba god and know it all) bananas when you show up with one, and other folks perk an interest!

The best suggestion I can make though, is to dive, dive, dive. Get to know the water, get to know yourself, and then explore neat little side roads of equipment. The old literature is quite useful too.

It's all good! Have fun!

I agree. It's easy to question motives of others when you've chosen a different direction. Why? Dive and let dive! I have to admit that part of the reason I became an instructor was the 'cool' factor. Divers and dive ops treat me differently because of it. The same can be said about being the owner of ScubaBoard. I do enjoy the notoriety. Those who think they're above looking cool are only deceiving themselves. It can be convincingly argued that their comments are designed to make them look cool by making others look less cool. What's the point? Dive and let dive.

Obviously, the biggest problem in this thread was the location it was first posted: technical diving. Our OP was thinking one thing, while many of us thought he was thinking something else. Man, I remember the first time I put on a set of twin 72s. I felt cool! Beyond that, I found them incredibly stable and all around fun to dive. Hell, I enjoyed the kids asking if I was a real scuba diver as I sauntered down to the water. Why not? In this world focused so much on negativity, this was indeed a positive experience. I love it.
Here's a few photos of diving a twin set, twin 42s (our jump tanks) and twin 72s, from my USAF days in Okinawa.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Samo Crowder & Wetzel on Okinawa beach.jpg
    Samo Crowder & Wetzel on Okinawa beach.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 85
  • Samo bagging fish in Okinawa.jpg
    Samo bagging fish in Okinawa.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Okinawa Beach Dive2.jpg
    Okinawa Beach Dive2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Okinawa Beach Dive1.jpg
    Okinawa Beach Dive1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Exploring the reef--Okinawa 1968.jpg
    Exploring the reef--Okinawa 1968.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 97
Hey gents I'm new to scuba diving, I just got certified as a open water scuba diver and have 10 divers under my belt + OW course dives. I'm very interested in to buying a twinset/double hose set up mainly for the looks. So here are my questions :

Do I need special training for twinset/double hose setup?

How much money am I looking to spend on this?

Do I need a special BC for the twinset and where would my console/octopus be setup at? Thanks fellas

As a few other people have suggested, I would recommend that you start with a single tank (you're used to that already) and try a doublehose regulator. See if you like that. Looking cool is one thing, actually enjoying diving is another. Doublehose regs are quite a bit different than modern single hose regs. Some people love them, some don't. You won't know until you try one. Regarding your questions:

1. You don't need any formal training, but it would be good to do your first few doublehose dives with someone that has some experience with them. You can probably find someone on this forum in your area to help you. There are differences in dive technique to get the most out of the doublehose.

2. Doublehose regs are expensive. Of course, new high end single hose regs are too, but it's easy to find decent quality used single hose regs in good shape at a bargain. This is not the case with doublehose regs. The best place to start is vintagedoublehose.com. They have a forum as well, with lots of dedicated doublehose divers.

3. The doublehose will work best with a BC that is designed to locate it properly; low and tight against your back. The positioning of the doublehose is directly related to how easily it breathes. Original doublehose regs had no provisions for things like LP inflator, SPG, and alternate 2nd stage. So you should look for either a phoenix-modified aquamaster (known as the PRAM) or the kraken, which is a new doublehose made by vintagedoublehose. These regulators maintain the essential character of the old doublehose regs but add modern yokes and LP/HP ports.

Since both a PRAM and kraken is going to be expensive, and I assume as a 15 year old you're not loaded with several hundred dollars in spare cash sitting around, I would really recommend that you find someone who's near your area and has one that you could rent or borrow for a simple pool dive or shallow lake, someplace easy. The you'll see if you like it. If you do, the next step is to find a good job because you're going to spend some money! Have fun....

Halocline is correct. Double hose regulators can be very expensive.....With that said we are always looking to get young divers excited and interested in diving with them. If you find a regulator you are interested in please contact me directly and I'll do my best to get you started in the right direction and as affordable as possible.

Yeah, just smile and shake your head when you see those blue labeled, DAAM's on eBay for 600.000 - You can get 5 or those for 600 bucks - not one. Patience is your friend.

Does anyone have experience in dive faber LP twin 50's. I see they are 30" in length witch is the same length as a HP 149cuft tank. I have used a LP 120 witch is the same length. I am 5' 8" and it's to long for me.

Back
Top Bottom