question to charter boat operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gchilcott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There are navigation rules in US and other waters stating that vessels engaged in diving operations shall display all-round lights red-over-white-over-red at night, and ball-over-diamond-over-ball during daylight (Rule 27d). Smaller boats still have the requirement of the lights at night and Code flag "A" in the day (Rule 27e). These requirements are in addition to anchor light and anchor signal requirements.

I would think this is intended to address restrictions to maneuvering as would be the case for a vessel supporting tethered, surface-supplied divers, but I'm interested about whether dive charter boats feel that these requirements apply.

Code flag A is common, but I've never noticed dive charter boats displaying shapes or the red/white/red. What's your experience?

I have them and use them at night when divers are in the water. The red-white-red and code alpha flag indicate a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver. I consider myself to be unable to maneuver when divers are in the water, unless conducting live boating operations. If other vessels do not give proper shapes, lights, or warnings, then they can't really get too upset when some fool
runs over their divers in federal waters.

Back
Top Bottom