Question to Nor. Cal. divers about Bodega Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gchilcott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've found some old posts about diving Bodega Bay breakwalls from shore on the Doran beach side. Does anyone know how it is on the west side, or if there are other sites on the south side of Bodega Head? I'm assuming boat entry for anything on the west side of the harbor mouth, and that comments in other posts about fishing line, boat traffic, visibility, current and tides would apply.

- Gavin

I've dived both sides.
The outer side (west) is a challenge and should only be dived when conditions are really good.
It's really dirty water diving, the vis is usually not good at all and things 4 to 6 feet away disappear onto the murk quickly. There is a lot of surge on the outside that pulls you in and out of the wall. It's a shallow dive, only 10 to 15 feet deep depending on the tide at the base of the rocks at the sand. The boulders that make up the wall are big, some as big as a Mini Cooper and can form some minor caverns at the base.
Every time I've dived it I made sure to do it on an incoming tide. I parked and geared up in the Campbell Cove parking lot then hiked down to the cove beach. From there I waded across the lagoon along the cliff to the west jetty. I climbed over the jetty and crab crawled out a ways along the jetty then jumped in on the outside. I went all the way out, around the corner, and came back in on the inside along the wall with the incoming tide.

A few warnings:
Don't leave the wall at any time! There is a lot of boat traffic in and out between the jetties! Not only that but if you venture off you may not find your way back if you are too close to the end of the jetty. Coming up in open water could prove to be very hazardous with boat traffic. Maintain visual contact with the jetty at all times. Like I said, the surge can be brutal so be carefull not to get sucked in and out of rocks sideways. The trip around the end can be quite a thrill too, you may have to actually pull yourself around due to hard cross currents. Once you're on the inside coming in it gets much more peaceful. The sand changes to a mud bottom so stay off it. Also, don't come up anywhere on the inside unless you're all the way in and right close to the beach. You can tell because you'll be in only about 4 feet of water. Part of the reason is because the jetty out towards the middle and end is guarded by a group of very large male sea lions. They get VERY cranky when a diver pops up a few feet away from them like I did once. I'll never do that again!
Also the coast guard gets equally cranky if they catch anybody diving on the inside of the jetties. They have a station right in the bay and they go by all the time. So when you come up pretend your James Bond or something and be as covert as you can. Pop your head up slow to look around and keep low until the coast is clear then make a break for the beach. The last thing you want is to come up and see a patrol boat with 4 coasties pointing machine guns at you.

And it should go without saying, but under no circumstances do you venture into the center of the channel underwater where all the boat traffic is! Stay on the wall at all times.
There are some big lings in those caves and I saw an angel shark once about six feet long laying in the mud on the trip in. There are a lot of abandoned crab traps all over those jetties. There is also a ton of fishing line so you'll need shears, cutting tools, etc.
If you're into grabbing a load of crabs there are a ton of big rock crabs along that wall, if you're into harvesting.

Before I forget, that area is known for big sharks. There is a seal rookery on the island right off the jetty. Some very large great whites have been spotted repeatedly over the years trolling for snacks around the island and the jetties, so be careful and keep your eyes open. Stay low and by the base of the structure and you should be fine.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Eric,

Thanks for the info. I'm in Santa Rosa and was looking for a close site, but that one doesn't sound great -- probably it's worth a little extra driving to get up to Stillwater or Gerstle. I have a (seaworthy) little boat, so I was thinking I might find something on the south side of the Bodega Head, and I was also thinking it was a little deeper than that out at the end of the west jetty. I'm not aware of many other sites in this area that are a reasonable boat trip from Bodega Bay, and there aren't a lot of other launch sites (though I'm hoping to get up to Pt. Arena and hit Arena Rock one of these days).

I've had similar experiences with male sea lions after getting a little too close to their girlfriends. Some females were really playful and interactive until the big male came out and let everybody know the game was over.

- Gavin

You could launch at Ocean Cove during their on season (ab season).
Other than that it's Pt. Arena but you have to have your own sling set up for them to hook onto. Going out of Bodega Bay it's 25 miles up to anything decent. The whole area from Russian River south is pretty dirty and mostly sand bottom. I've eyed some of the beaches like Portugese or Wrights beach but usually the surf looks like it would kick your ass.
We normally go up to Mendo county to boat dive. There you have Albion and Noyo harbors to launch and some of California's best diving is only minutes in either direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom