question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well, I'm going to try to state this as best as I can.......

On Sunday I went sledding at Mt. Baker. (Had a blast) However, I did some damage to my neck, nothing serious but it has been pretty sore.

On Tuesday I was taken to the E.R. by ambulance because of multiple things
1. Medication I was put on for neck injury didn't like my system
2. I was positive for the flu
3. I was very dehydrated
4. concussion from sledding accident

All of this combined made my blood pressure and heart rate drop pretty low and gave all of us a scare.

Needless, my doctor has given me directions to take it easy for about a week. Thats fine and dandy, I needed the rest anyway. However, when I asked him about diving he said that based on his limited knowledge that he would give it a couple of minths before I went diving again. (All of you divers out there know how totally unreasonable this sounds.)

My question is (yes, im just finally getting to the point) does it seem reasonable to wait that long, or was my doctor just giving me an estimate so that he didn't sound stupid?

I don't know if any of you can help me with this, but I figured it was worth the shot. Thanks for reading this far if you have gotten here.

I wish safe diving to all of you... :)

Kayla:)

have plenty of time for diving. Take it easy, let your body heal and then resume diving.

I am sorry to hear you got all banged up:( Sounds like you are on the mend now :)

Most physicians know little, if anything, about the physiological aspects of diving.

No offense to your doctor, but he admits he doesn't know anything about the sport. So why not consult someone who does?

I suggest going to Scubadoc's website to see if there is a hyperbaric/diving physician in your area you can consult:

http://scuba-doc.com/

Hope you're feeling better soon,

~SubMariner~

Kayla:

I second the message that few family doctors know very much about diving medicine, and they tend to err on the side of caution... read extra, extra caution. Have you called DAN? That would be my first step.

DD

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply, but thanks guys!

I didn't even think about calling DAN, but that is now on my list of things to do tomorrow.

As of right now, I'm feeling great, so I'm hoping that they say, Go For It!!!!

Thanks again!:)

Kayla:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom