Questions about trays, lights, strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[Sorry if this has been beat to death before, searching on my iPhone has been painful these few days on some forums.]

I'm fairly new to the under water photography thing, having lots of experience on land.

In my frugal attempts at not being bankrupt, a $$$$ housing for my D7000 and lenses is not in my budget, let alone strobes to justify taking that camera under water.

I did happen upon a used Canon S110 and a purchased a new IkeLite housing for it, and repurposing some wide angle 1K dive lights for its existence.

Is the trays main purpose just a platform to mount everything into one stable package?

As for photos, I see most setups with just strobes, and on occasion, some additional lights.

Is the idea for lights to create more ambient light/colour, and the strobes more for composition and to pop out the subject in the picture in this instance?

Now, with the said equipment (camera and housing) in transit at the moment, what length of arms for said lights? I have a few feet of Loc Line and aluminum bar from a day job accessible to me for this project.

Would adding 2 90deg elbows be of assistance in arm placements (for moving the arms parallel to the tray) rather than 'loosing length' just from bending the line?

Is there any handy 'add on' or design features for trays (I've seen some diy with hinges for shutter buttons, etc) for use with thick gloves? (All of my local diving is in the single digits [C] with dry gloves).

I was thinking of 2 handles spaced appropriately for my housing (which has a lever for the shutter) with the Loc Line coming off the top of them. Would it be advantageous to have a 'top' to the tray (enclosing the housing on the 4 sides)

What about handles for ease of getting it in/out of boats? Attachment points for bolt snaps/lines for attaching to gear lines?

Ballast? Where would be a better spot for weight or floats (and material)?

Thanks,

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom