Quick inshore or shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaGiraffe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,
I will be traveling from San Diego to Seattle (by car) during the week of Oct 1-7. I was wondering if there are any dive sites to hit on the coast or any inshore springs/caves whatever?

Thousands. San Diego, La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Palos Verdes, Malibu, Ventura County, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, lots of North Coast sites. A few in Oregon and then pretty much anywhere with water in Washington. Start with Scuba Shore Diving Region: USA West

Sweet thanks, I'm coming from Guam where exposure suits are null and void. I am assuming this is not the case for any of these?

In So Cal, the locals usually dive in 7mm wetsuits with hoods, gloves, booties, and open heel fins. Water temps range from mid 50’s to low 60’s depending on time of year and depth. In late summer and fall the water temps and weather conditions are best.

If you’re shore diving, surf entries and exits can be challenging. So, use good judgement.

I am not aware of any inshore diving in So Cal.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Blergh, this gonna be harder than I thought. Any one know any good shops to rent wetsuits at?

Rental gear is commonly available at most So Cal dive shops where instruction is offered, but I suggest calling ahead.

If you decide to shore dive around the South Bay area (Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach), I can recommend Dive N'Surf in Redondo Beach (310) 372-8423.

Don't be put off by the chilly temps. If you dive often enough in our waters the part of your brain that senses cold dies.

I assume traveling 101 and 1. Big Sur, Jade Cove check websites on collecting and diving. Stillwater Cove and Pt Lobos SP check website and webcams post NorCal section for buddies and info. Carmel River State beach where the river flows in check website. Monterey Bay post Caliifornia NorCal section for buddies and info. Sonoma and Mendocino Counties Post Northcoast divers website for buddies and info. Van Damme State Park, Russion Gulch State park. Casper Cove, Fort Bragg. Check websites and webcams.

Caution. If do not consider yourself an advance open water cold water kelp diver with good self rescue skills. Be careful diving/hiking Big Sur, unprotected Carmel shoreline, and areas north of the Golden Gate without a buddy that is familiar with the local tides. swells, surf, unpredictable conditions, etc.

Northern California Temps average much cooler. Warmer in winter. Cooler in Summer due to currents. Can be as low as 46-48F in Spring down to low 40's at depth all year. Surface temps can get as warm as low/mid 50's. For current conditions(wind, temps, swell, etc.), Check Buoys Monterey Bay, Bodega Bay, Point Arena,

May not want to drive Hwy 1 in these areas due to slow traffic winding roads. Santa Cruz to San Francisco. After San Francisco usually use 101 then drive to Coastal Hwy 1 only when wanting to visit a local. After spending time on Coast may want to drive inland to 101 because it may take hours to take Hwy 1 to next destination. All of Hwy1 is very impressive with great sceanic views if do not mind long slow winding highway and sometimes getting stuck behind a slow vehicle.

Monterey to Santa Cruz, I prefer Hwy1. Not for diving, check out Elkhorn Slough see website. Phil's Fish Market for lunch. 30+ sea otters at the Moss Landing SB see website.

Last edited:
SeaGiraffe, Please add a trip report to this thread when you get home.

Starting in San Diego La Jolla should be your first stop. The Cove there is world famous, both it and the Shores 1/2 nearby are so popular that I doubt you'll have much trouble finding someone to show you around. IBDivers LaJolla should have everything you need for suit rental tanks/weights etc. Here's a resource for San Diego diving - www.divebums.com - you probably can't do all the good San Diego shore dives in one day.

The Cove is so popular that you may not get a parking space much after 9am on weekdays, 7am on weekends - so plan accordingly. Not a huge problem since there' s street parking elsewhere - even the garage at the bank up the hill in LaJolla, the stairs to the side run right down to the top of the Cove but it cuts into your time a lot. We planned to do two Cove dives and be out by 10:30 - at noon we were just getting out of the water since I had to drop my friend/gear then find parking about a mile away. Also they're really proud of their red curbs and the ticket is expensive. Anytime you see any open space - look twice.

As you move up the coast a couple hours there's also a lot of diving around Laguna Beach. Several sites are very close by and very popular with divers. On the link "Max" provided above - those sites are Heisler Park, Shaws Cove and how can there not be divers at Divers Cove...:wink:

Beach Cities Scuba in that area for rentals - they have several locations.

It would be possible to morning dive in La Jolla then move up the coast to Laguna for afternoon dives - about a 2? hr. or less drive depending on traffic. Since it seems you're trying to move up the entire west coast in a week...

If you plan to stay a day somewhere around the Long Beach area, Catalina Island is an option. You can haul gear on the Catalina Express Ferry - they're used to seeing divers with gear - and even come back the same night as Catalina resorts are pricier. The Ferry leaves from Long Beach harbor, Dana Point farther south or San Pedro. You want the one going to Avalon. Diving there is in the Marine Park. I haven't been there in a decade so am not current on what the facilities are like now.

Vets Park in Redondo Beach is also a popular dive site a little farther north. IDK anyone in that area. Pacific Wilderness possibly - they're a little south in San Pedro. Ask them about options for getting out into the Kelp of the old Marineland site also - might be someone doing it the day you're in the area. If not it's really tricky to try on your own, the surge beats you up if it's not flat calm and the cobbles shift underfoot.

I'd skip all the diving from Redondo thru L.A. and drive to at least Santa Barbara, Ventura or possibly even Monterey if you wanted to spend all day getting there. It's not the distance it's the traffic. I've always wanted to dive Morro Rock though also - it just looks like it could be a good dive.

IDK much past that except I believe you need reservations to dive at Pt. Lobos - which I understand is worth the trouble to get. Monterey Aquarium is worth a stop if you have time while in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom