Raja Ampat claims another liveaboard victim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Utilasusie - we had an absolutely brilliant trip. That day was a sobering one for everyone on board. I personally felt more empathy for the crew of the Mandarin. The guests lost a few of their belongings and a day or two of diving but will go back to the homes and jobs. BUT the crew lost alot more. I really hope that WWDS will take care of the crew in this difficult time.

Need to sort through the 2000 odd photo's and video clips and put together a trip report BUT that will take sssooome time!

We were on the Indo Siren when we recieved the stranded guests. I can confirm that there were no injuries. The guests were clearly shaken, but ok, which is the most important thing. It really was a pretty little boat and well now it will be a pretty little wreck. It also is not too deep which means it accessible for recreational dives.

Yup ... I was there last week and could see the hull sticking out of the water right next to Manta Sandy.

I just returned from Raja Empat aboard the Damai. We were greatly saddened to hear about the Mandarin Siren. Having spent time on the Philippines Siren, I know what a great operation they have. It is a great loss to the company, crew, and passengers on board. My sincere condolences!

Time to move on from the incident itself and maybe open the discussion up a little.

Of course we are all very pleased that no-one was hurt, but is no-one else concerned that this could have happened at any time... say at night whilst towels were drying for the morning dives. What if the sister ship had not been within radio range? Seems to me that Siren Fleet dodged a bullet here and it could have been alot worse. However I would contend that maybe the fire should not have had time to develop to the point where it could not be contained. I have never been on a Siren Fleet boat and have never heard anything bad about them so this is a general concern aimed at all liveaboards in the area.

As a former liveaboard Captain from the Caribbean I know the hoops that the operators and crew must jump through in order to receive their annual safety certificate. The drills required, the fire fighting equipment that must be fitted as standard, even simple items like smoke detectors. I would be interested to know what fire fighting equipement is carried by the Indo liveaboards and how often the crew are drilled in its use.
Fire at sea is the biggest concern of any liveaboard Captain and if we are to make educated choices in which boat to travel on surely we, as customers, should be concerned with the safety equipment and training and be making our choices with this in mind, rather than the quality of the soups!

All in my humble opinion, of course,
Simon

Hi Utila Simon

Some interesting points raised indeed but to say the Siren Fleet "dodged a bullet" is putting things a little strongly. If you like to follow this link you can read about the incident and how safety issues have already addressed.
S/Y Mandarin Siren our Indonesia luxury liveaboard dive boat

Regarding you concerns
1, towels are not dried at night whilst crew are sleeping, (and a new rule is instigated that the tumble dryer is not running unattended.)
2, each Siren Fleet yacht has long distance radios & life rafts so there is no issue about the sister ship not being in range.
The S/Y Mandarin Siren was a smaller yacht of just 24m therefore the fire spread quickly from the laundry to the engine room and the 4 crew who were on board at the time were unable to contain the blaze. The guests were out diving and not in any danger.

Believe me Indonesia is not an "easy" place to operate, safety standards need to me met there as in the Caribbean. As a fellow ex-utilian i am sure you have seen some poorly operated boats in your time and whilst I cannot speak for all boats operating in Indonesia I can say that the standards of safety and quality of the Siren Fleet are extremely high.

Are you still working on the Belize Aggressor? I met some guests who were traveling with you and Andrina.
best wishes and safe diving
Susie

Hi Utila Simon

Some interesting points raised indeed but to say the Siren Fleet "dodged a bullet" is putting things a little strongly. If you like to follow this link you can read about the incident and how safety issues have already addressed.
S/Y Mandarin Siren our Indonesia luxury liveaboard dive boat

Regarding you concerns
1, towels are not dried at night whilst crew are sleeping, (and a new rule is instigated that the tumble dryer is not running unattended.)
2, each Siren Fleet yacht has long distance radios & life rafts so there is no issue about the sister ship not being in range.
The S/Y Mandarin Siren was a smaller yacht of just 24m therefore the fire spread quickly from the laundry to the engine room and the 4 crew who were on board at the time were unable to contain the blaze. The guests were out diving and not in any danger.

Believe me Indonesia is not an "easy" place to operate, safety standards need to me met there as in the Caribbean. As a fellow ex-utilian i am sure you have seen some poorly operated boats in your time and whilst I cannot speak for all boats operating in Indonesia I can say that the standards of safety and quality of the Siren Fleet are extremely high.

Are you still working on the Belize Aggressor? I met some guests who were traveling with you and Andrina.
best wishes and safe diving
Susie

Hi Susie,
No criticism of the Siren fleet or this particular crew was intended. However there is no such thing as a fire at sea that is not serious and end result could have been much worse. Its also good to see that the fleet can react and learn from incidents such as these and that should reassure your future clients.
My point was wider than that and applicable to all vessels in the area. Maybe to all vessels in SE Asia. It is my understanding that not all vessels carry the same type of registration and therefore differing safety sandards apply and maybe consumers should be doing their homework based on more than the quality of the food offered. IMHO

Anyway, we left the Caribbean 6 months ago and are actually in Bali having just dived Raja Ampat and worked briefly at Wakatobi/Pelagian.

Wishing you warm waters and good vis...
Simon

Hi all,

Can I just say thank you very much for those of you who have been concerned about the crew on the Mandarin Siren, it has really meant a lot to my partner who worked on it, Michel, who had in fact worked on this boat for over 5 years when it was originally the "Mimpi" live aboard operated by Simone from Thalassa Dive Centre. He lived on this boat and had absolutely everything he owned on it and was in tears when he told me about the accident. He personally loved the Mandarin, so much so, that he worked on it for a year and a half without a holiday ....

On a personal note, I was really sad that I was not informed about this accident and don't seem to have received an apology despite writing to the office with regards to our belongings. I was worried sick when I didn't hear from him over New Year as we have texted each other every day since meeting last January whilst I led a trip on the same boat when it too encountered a bad accident, entering and sailing through a storm for 4 hours from Kri Island despite asking the guide if we could turn back and stay in Yenbessar village instead of going to Batanta island. Water entered the engine room that night, quite scary indeed. It shook me up for months but I was told by the marketing person in charge that I was taking things too seriously and that I needed to move on and forget it.

As soon as I heard about the accident, 4th January, I got in touch with the office asking if I could go and see Michel as soon as I finished work on 15th and would he be there? I was told that he was resting. I asked if I could buy him a couple of the gifts which I gave him for his birthday last year and for saving us all on the Mandarin in January to surprise him with, a little iPod shuffle and a Man United t-shirt which had his name on it. I asked if there was a way that I could sort it out directly with the company's insurance as I didn't want Michel to know.

I received a reply from one owner telling me that they had had a whip round for the crew for their belongings. I was quite shocked at how cold this statement was. I was then told that I needed to forward receipts (which I understood) and that the money would be repaid through Michel's bank account. I asked how Michel could then get the money to me in England for me to buy the gifts and then how was I going to get them back to him when he worked on the boat for 48 weeks of the year ... Wouldn't there be an easier way and also how I was surprised that they couldn't help me when he has worked for the company since 2009 and I have been helping them behind the scenes here promoting WWDS through my courses and talks at the dive shows and even offering to be an investor when they needed it.

I then received a stern response from the main owner telling me that Michel was scheduled to return to work on the 13th and that he was too tired from dealing with this **** to answer my email just then--choice words indeed after this kind of catastrophe and the heartbreak that everyone who lost their personal belongings must be feeling ....I was totally shocked .... I have worked with dive operations such as Nautilus Explorer, and many others throughout 10 years of working in the dive industry and have never been spoken to like this. I was simply asking if there was a way to help replace Michel's gifts to celebrate our one year anniversary, Valentines Day and his birthday .....

I saw Michel this week for one day and despite him asking the office in Makassar about replacing his belongings he simply receives a response saying that it is nothing to do with them and he has to speak to the office in Thailand. He still only has 2 t-shirts, one of them being the one which I took out for him which he gave me when I needed it ... we are both big Manchester United fans!!!

Surely we all as divers have a responsibility to look after the staff who look after us, carrying 18 tanks 4 times a day and working from 5 am until 10 pm at night for a few dollars per day should be appreciated particularly after fighting a fire to save everyone's belongings and the boat itself which he loved dearly - and the staff still keep smiling to make sure that we all have a really lovely holiday .....

I am sorry to have to bring this to the forum, but as we are getting absolutely nowhere sending emails and calling, there is sadly no choice and really hope that this can be rectified soon so that Michel can start to rebuild his belongings and we can have a future together .... I also lost a Sea Shepherd hoodie which I was really proud of - Darren from Sea Shepherd UK gave it to be because of the work I put in to raise money for them and I lent it to one of the crew to stop Anita from getting wet in a storm as she had no jacket. Michel was going to give it back to me when he saw me ...

I simply don't understand why there has been no response from anyone .... I've also found out that he has been diving to 16 metres to the Mandarin Siren without a diving licence .... :( :( :( - to say that I am shocked is an understatement .....

If lessons are to be learnt from this accident, I sincerely hope that we all as divers can appreciate the crew who look after us so well and treat them with the love and fairness that they all deserve.

Sincerely,

Maria

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Maria

I know you quite well from UK photography, if I'll see you at the show end March, I'll say 'hello'

Thank you for this insight, I'm quite shocked!

Your line below is something that we should all make a careful note of .....

If lessons are to be learnt from this accident [Manderin Siren], I sincerely hope that we all as divers can appreciate the crew who look after us so well and treat them with the love and fairness that they all deserve.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for replying, I was really scared of posting but there is a previous thread on this forum about the Mimpi not coping very well in rougher seas. I really don't understand why it travelled such long distances from Lembeh to Komodo and then to Raja often turning around for the next trip the next day on trips being the smaller size that it was, sometimes even on the very same day. Michel once ended up in hospital himself and he helped to drive it!

I also don't understand why there is no effort being made to replace Michel's passport either so that we can make plans to get married ... on that note if you fancy a underwater wedding party, then just let me know!

I'm afraid that I have pulled out of the dive show due to the above ... I'd cry as soon as I walked in and saw them.

But the good news is that I will be able to spend more time helping people here on Scubaboard which I am really looking forward to :) :) :)

Thanks again and if you need any help, just let me know.

Have a lovely week.

Best Wishes,

maria

Back
Top Bottom