Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their itinerary does all the must do sites. Just do all the dives and you won't miss any :)

The bommie near the giant clam at Mioskon. Can't miss it.

Wobbegon-Shark-1200.jpg

Arborek Jetty:

are201118519-M.jpg

Somewhere in the Dampier Straight (I forgot);

are201118929-M.jpg

Don't worry. They will hit the spots.

We spent 7 days at central RA. On those 7 days diving some sites we went back are Blue Magic (oceanic mantas), Sandy Manta (Reef Manta) at least we have 18 at the cleaning station. but strict rules are implemented here though my tip was to stay further on the right after the line of corals, then look both sides front and back mantas are swimming on top of your head. Sardine Reef, there are no sardines but it is full pack of fish. Arborek jetty, mike's point and cape kri. Passage was great also but its all about drift, very fast drift.
Were going back but this time at the south part of RA.

At Manta Sandy, I recommend wearing a beanie hood to keep the cleaning wrasse out of one's ears.

So lucky DanT!!

Out of curiousity, how is everyone reaching RA from the US. Flight times, routes?
Our return from Siladen, Indonsia in July was 47 1/2 hrs. While it will be some time before we do that again, RA is now on the radar.

Yo Dan. Nice Halimeda. I haven't seen one in many years.

gypsyjim:

"Out of curiousity, how is everyone reaching RA from the US. Flight times, routes?

There are many routes. Our next one is a first for us. We try to use Oneworld/AA miles and are in Dallas. Here are the ways we or our friends have gotten there:

DFW-Incheon-Jarkarta (new route for us) AA and Garuda (can easily substitute Korean Air for Garuda)
DFW-Narita-Denpasar: AA and Garuda.
DFW-Narita-Jakarta: AA and JAL
DFW-Houston-Moscow-Singapore-Manado: AA and Singapore Airlines
DFW-LAX-Tapei-Denpasar: AA and EVA and have also done AA and China Airlines.
DFW-Incheon-Denpasar: Korean Air.

I have spent many hours on Kayak trying scenarios. I'm guessing you are in the Albany area, so you will need to work your way backwards and focus on the international routes. So, JFK or Chicago ORD is key point. JFK can get you to Jakarta or Singapore flying east in one stop either through a European capital or Middle Eastern capital. ORD can get you to Singapore, Jakarta or Denpasar via some other point; LAX, SFO, Tokyo, Incheon, Taipei, Honk Kong.

As of the date of this post, getting to Sorong from Denpasar requires overnighting if you go through Manado or Makassar.

I can't give any specifics since I've never run the scenarios via JFK.

Out of curiousity, how is everyone reaching RA from the US. Flight times, routes?
Our return from Siladen, Indonsia in July was 47 1/2 hrs. While it will be some time before we do that again, RA is now on the radar.

I live in Houston area, so I'm more fortunate than some of you, 29-hr flight & 18-hr lay over.
Houston-Singapore via Moscow ~ 22.5-hr flight
Moscow (refueling) ~ 1.5-hr layover
Singapore ~ 2.5-hr layover
Singapore-Denpasar ~ 2.5-hr flight
Denpasar ~ 6-hr layover
Denpasar-Makassar ~1.5-hr flight
Makassar ~ 8-hr layover
Makassar-Sorong ~ 2.5-hr flight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom