Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me:
1) JFK - HKG = Cathay Pacific 16 Hours + 3 Hours Layover in HKG
2) HKG - SIN = Cathay Pacific 4 Hours Flight
3) SIN - CGK = Air Asia 1 1/2 Hours Flight + 4 Hours Layover in CGK
4) CGK to SOQ = NAM Airlines 6 Hours Flight

So around 27 Hours in the air. I am stopping in Singapore for 4 days though. I dont think I can make it in one trip.

...and 7 Hours Layover

Out of curiousity, how is everyone reaching RA from the US. Flight times, routes?
Our return from Siladen, Indonsia in July was 47 1/2 hrs. While it will be some time before we do that again, RA is now on the radar.

I'm flying from NY to Tokyo to Jakarta to Sorong.

Out of curiousity, how is everyone reaching RA from the US. Flight times, routes?
Our return from Siladen, Indonsia in July was 47 1/2 hrs. While it will be some time before we do that again, RA is now on the radar.

THis past March-April

- From Boston, USA =
- 1 hour, Boston to JFK (NY)
- 7:35, JFK to Frankfurt
- 12:10, Frankfurt to Singapore
- 3:45, Singapore to Manado (spent first week in Lembeh)
- 1:25 hours, Manado-Sorong

The way back was tougher:
- 2:10, Sorong,to Makassar
- 2:20, Makassar to Jakarta
- 1:50, Jakarta to Singapore
- 12:45, Singapore to Frankfurt
- 8:30 Frankfurt to JFK
- 1 hour, JFK to Boston

Long Haul was on Singapore Airlines; intra-Indo was Garuda - both were great

Last edited:
<deleted>

I flew on Guruda domestically in Indonesia. They had an extra weight allowance for scuba equipment. Might want to call the airline to double check. I printed the statement out from the website just in case the chicken/gate attendant did not know the exception.

I live in Houston area, so I'm more fortunate than some of you, 29-hr flight & 18-hr lay over.
Houston-Singapore via Moscow ~ 22.5-hr flight
Moscow (refueling) ~ 1.5-hr layover
Singapore ~ 2.5-hr layover
Singapore-Denpasar ~ 2.5-hr flight
Denpasar ~ 6-hr layover
Denpasar-Makassar ~1.5-hr flight
Makassar ~ 8-hr layover
Makassar-Sorong ~ 2.5-hr flight

Holy Mother of!!!

Are you lot certifiable?

And here's me complaining

Dubai - Jarkarta 8.5 hrs

48 hr layover (by choice) in a nice hotel with a great pool bar

Jakarta - Makassar 1.5 hrs

3hr layover

Makassar - Sorong 2.5 hr flight

Maybe I need to get more realistic... We complain because we're in B777 Business rather than A380

1st world problems?

THis past March-April

- From Boston, USA =
- 1 hour, Boston to JFK (NY)
- 7:35, JFK to Frankfurt
- 12:10, Frankfurt to Singapore
- 3:45, Singapore to Manado (spent first week in Lembeh)
- 1:25 hours, Manado-Sorong

The way back was tougher:
- 2:10, Sorong,to Makassar
- 2:20, Makassar to Jakarta
- 1:50, Jakarta to Singapore
- 12:45, Singapore to Frankfurt
- 8:30 Frankfurt to JFK
- 1 hour, JFK to Boston

Long Haul was on Singapore Airlines; intra-Indo was Garuda - both were great

Why go through Singapore if you're going through Jakarta? Why not just route through Jakarta? Sure your flights wouldn't likely be Singapore Air but 47.5 hours of travel would leave me too exhausted to enjoy Raja Ampat.

It shows how nutty we are for diving in Raja Ampat. I have already chartered a boat to do a 12-day cruise from Ambon to Sorong for next November. It's already fully booked a year in advance with 7 people on the waiting list.

I probably would have liked in on that too, DanT.

Why go through Singapore if you're going through Jakarta? Why not just route through Jakarta? Sure your flights wouldn't likely be Singapore Air but 47.5 hours of travel would leave me too exhausted to enjoy Raja Ampat.

Luckily it was only on the way back...not on the way there.

We used a dive travel agent for the trip...so not sure why, other than keeping us on one airline might have made it cheaper...? Also - ease of use.....the Singapore-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-JFK legs were the same plane on Singapore Airlines in both directions (the beautifully massive A380). You get off in Frankfurt for a short time and re-board at the same gate....no long walk, no switching gates, etc. It also let me practice my German for 90 minutes :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom