Ranking of Regulators

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by H2Andy, May 27, 2005.

1. H2Andy

H2Andy Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    ok... this has been talked to death on here, and i was going around trying to
    put all the threads ranking the various regulator manufacturers together, but
    there's just too many of them and too many variations... so.... i thought i'd
    start this thread regarding how we rank the various regulators.

this is what i have so far:

Top of the Line

Apeks
    Atomic
    Poseidon
    ScubaPro
    Zeagle

Middle of the Pack

Aeris
    Aqualung
    Cressi Sub
    Dive Rite
    Genesis
    Mares
    OMS
    Oceanic
    Tusa
    US Divers
    XS Scuba (IDI)

Economy Class

Apollo
    Beauchat
    Dacor
    Seac-Sub
    Sea Elite
    Seaquest
    Sherwood

Dangerous at Any Price

IST

any others? any disputes as to which category these belong to?

waiting to be ranked: ScubaMax

2. rescuediver009

rescuediver009 Loggerhead Turtle

Although it is kinda cheesy and you will forever be rearanging your list because I am first I will say that although sherwood can be economy class the Maximus would be in the mid range I think.
    secondly, I think that Mares and Aqualung make regs that will fit into every category (abyss/legend, voltrex/titan, and MR12/calypso respectively)

3. H2Andy

yes, i am hoping people will disagree with the list, and hopefully i can figure
    out what the consensus is on the rankings

4. PerroneFord

PerroneFord DIR Practitioner

# of Dives:
    I think the problem will be that each manufacturer makes a range of products, so listing their desireability solely by manufacturer is someone problematic. There are very few manufacturers who make only regs in one class. The entire line of current Apeks and Atomics seem to be in the top class..., but that seems an anomoly.

5. H2Andy

hmmm... the real world intrudes

6. Lightning Fish

Lightning Fish Surface Interval Member

poke poke....

I think some of the Aqualung regs should be in the "top of the line" class, such as the Legend. The Titan is a great reg as well, but that's what I use so I won't comment on where I think it should go.

Cheers,
    Bill.

7. diversteve

diversteve Administrator Staff Member

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Apollo
    Beuchat
    IDI
    IST

(i'm bored)

8. H2Andy

thanks

i haven't heard much about these. where would you rank them?

How about IDI and IST? i have no clue where to put them either

9. diversteve

diversteve Administrator Staff Member

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Beuchat is probably upper middle range, I think they're sold in Canada and by Cochran here. Apollo is solidly middle range imho. Apollo makes the Bio-Filter and incorporates it into the only reg. they sell.

http://www.beuchatdiving.com/regulators1.htm
    http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/

Here's what scubadiving.com had to say about IST, so I'm guessing Economy, unless you want to add another lower class...

These two IST regulators should not be used for scuba diving. Not only did. they both fail every breathing simulator test, neither of them even ...

All I know about IDI is from Divebooty's website. And they're selling them so this might be slightly biased...Scubadiving listed all their models in "16 Budget Regulators"

The IDI Seaira Titanium Airtec Regulator is a top rated, high performace model loaded with features...

10. pdoege

pdoege Manta Ray

My Dive Rite RG2500 regs breathe as well as my ScubaPro Mk25/S600 regs.

The scubapro Mk25s have a lot of plastic parts in them, and the dive rite seems to be a simpler design. Parts kits for the Dive Rite regs are readily available as well.

I'd move them up a notch personally, they are phenomenal regs for the money.

One problem that I think this ranking will run into is that 1) All of the high end regs breathe about the same at any realistic depth 2) Most of the really high end, pricey regs are full of marketing gimmicks that make them troublesome to service or get parts for 3) There are only so many reg factories in the world and a lot of cheaper regs are actually clones of more expensive regs.

My advice would be to go for a solid mid-range reg that has good support in your area or that you can get parts for. There really doesn't seem to be a clear cut "best" at the moment.

Peter Doege

11. Dragon2115

Dragon2115 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I have an easier ranking system...

Mine is the best, everybody else's is a distant second. ;) :1poke: :D

12. Snowbear

Snowbear NOK ScubaBoard Supporter

I have found that regularly rinsing after use keeps the rankness out of my regulators :11:

I noticed you correctly put my regulator of choice at the top of the top of the line list :D

13. aquaoren

aquaoren Surface Interval Member

# of Dives:
    Yes, indeed. :D

14. uberspeed

uberspeed Nassau Grouper

I can weigh in on the Aeris. I'd have to agree, middle to upper middle of the pack. My Atmos Pro breathes awesome, I cannot weigh in on serviceability, the inner workings, etc. so someone else (with more experience: especially servicing regs) may weigh in on that aspect of them (design, engineering, materials employed, etc.). Due to their relative "newness" and that they have a 2 year warranty and not lifetime like some other regs then I also think this firmly plants them in the category you have them in. All that being said I would say it breathed smoother to me than a MK25SA/S600 that I have tried and it certainly came in at a lower price point to boot. Also, I like the fact that Aeris as a company is aware that shunning online sales is just shooting yourself in the foot, IMHO.

15. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Nassau Grouper

Zeagle is the same way for the mostpart. Only maybe their cheapest reg might fall into middle of the pack but the rest are high-end.

16. Poseidon8118

Poseidon8118 Barracuda

Good try but they need to be ranked by model not by company, i.e. Mares has some of the best WOB regulators out there, so has Aqua-Lung, etc. They also need to be ranked in two or three individual categories, i.e. cold water, tech, recreational-warm water, etc. I wish it was that simple as first stated in your original post...but its not.

You have to also weigh the fact that Apeks, AquaLung, US Divers, and Seaquest are the same company (AquaLung Group), and the same goes for Genesis, and Sherwood (Sherwood Group). Ah the heck with it....

17. WarmWaterDiver

WarmWaterDiver Photographer

XS Scuba now owns the rights to what used to be IDI, as I understand things.

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4030

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4545A

I agree with the last poster - to heck with it. This is set up too subjectively, as the manufacturers' generally make specific models for low, middle, and higher priced target markets. I know H2Andy, who started the thread, has posted about how much he loves his Sea Elite reg which he says is the same as the Dive Rite reg with a different label (and to me, the Scubamax balanced diaphragm reg looks really similar ..., and someone else mentioned IST ...) How about it H2Andy? Do these look similar to your Sea Elite rig?

http://www.escubamax.com/.sc/ms/bdd/1114034727553182/9/nc/ee/242/DIAPHRAGM%20BALANCE

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4652

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4056

It is interesting the person who ranked Dive Rite higher than Scubapro maybe hasn't seen the latest simulator scores - for those who believe in things like science, that is.

But, the observation that just about all will work well within typical rec scuba depths is probably pretty much on the money. Then it comes down to personal preferences - like is the Lamborghini really better than the Ferrari, etc.

18. lord1234

lord1234 Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I saw a brand on ebay yesterday that isn't listed....Pro-Sub.

19. Vie

Vie Tech Diver

# of Dives:
    Another new(ish) brand is Dynamo.

http://www.dynamodiving.com/

My LDS tells me that Dynamo have some kind of a relationship with Atomic Aquatics (something about Dynamo being the manufacturer for Atomic regs) but I have no idea whether there is some truth to this or if it is just a rumour/BS. Dynamo and Atomic first stages are remarkably similar looking...

20. kityip

kityip Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I like my Apeks :07:

Cheers.