Ranking of Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the recent dive mags has a regulator "shoot-out"... Can't remember the magazine name or the ranking of the regs.. Will look tonight when I am at home..

Performed subjective testing as well as bench testing, compiled the results, etc..

H2Andy:
by the way, it's seriously looking like the only "real" way to rank regs is going
to be by model, not just by brand
Hey H2Andy, Interesting post. It’s sad to say however, that a real ranking that is valid from one person to another or from one type of diving to another is impossible. It is especially difficult to gain any pertinent data from people who actually own the regs, as people generally want to believe that what they own is the best and will only berate the possession if it sucks really bad and feel that they got hosed.
I believe that the only way to for a person to rank a reg is to stick it in their mouth and suck air. That corresponding ranking is however, only totally valid for that person.
Yesterday, I bought a Cressi-Sub Ellipse Titanium regulator. I expect it will fit my regulator needs precisely. If it sucks, I’m still going to say it’s the best. At least until I get something else and then that POS is on its own. lol.
Jeffrey

Rick Murchison:
Your list is interesting, though it's difficult to figure out how you reached your conclusions.
In the last "great regulator test" (about two years ago) that actually tested all the then current regs in head-to-head competition, the only scientific, measurable test (the machine tests) ranked the Aqualung Legend and the Aqualung Titan above all others in WOB.
I'm not associated with any regulator company, and when asked I will tell folks that "Any of the modern high-performance regs are excellent" and that they should "pick the one you like" after trying them out - because that's the truth, supported by both scientific testing and user subjective testing. The only other caveat I add is that if diving extremely cold water you should make sure you get the cold water model.
But when someone comes out with a list that fails to reflect the reality of the only actual measurement of regulator performance in favor of a popularity contest I have to speak up. Leaving Aqualung off the "top-of-the-line" list is just simply inaccurate.
Rick

I really think that the list is more reflective of manufacturers' reputations and/or image rather than empirical quality or performance. By that measure, I agree that Aqua Lung/USD belongs squarely in the top tier. Any ranking in terms of performance or whatever ought to be on a model by model basis. I guess, though that you could make generalizations about some mfgs having a rep for making mostly junk, but in that case I don't think that the "TOL/MOR/Budget" categories are accurate...how about "quality/marginal/junk"?

cheers

Billy S.

ps--post #300 for me!

For my part, from what I've seen and read, I would think that TUSA and Oceanic might go in Economy class. Sherwood might be borderline Economy/MOR. But I know nothing.

cheers

Billy S.

Oh, here's another category divvyup, based on the type of diver in whose mouth you most expect to find the reg in question:

1) Professional/Tech/DIR/Advanced Recreational Diver
2) Average Knowledgeable Diver
3) Vacationing Newbie Diver Who Kicks Up Clouds Of Silt And Mugs For Underwater Disposable Camera During Resort Course

:)

cheers

Billy S.

When I made my decision a few years back..I based it on performance/reliability and ability to service/obtain parts overseas as well as local?
I ended up with a SP Mk 25 S600,but I think all high end regs are probably not much different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom