+ Rated Tanks In Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks are very expensive here. They also have to be Hydro tested every year. I can see why someone would want to bring their tanks. I couldn't believe the price of tanks when I was in Florida.

Annual hydro testing seems way too excessive, and here I thought the USA was overregulated!

I have to agree it is excessive but if you want fills you comply..

As the owner of approximately 2 dozen tanks, I guess I won't be moving to Australia anytime soon.

Nope, if you want fills buy a compressor. Thats what I did.

Lets see,10 tanks x $40/year hydro=$400
10 tanks Oxygen cleaned + valves cleaned per year $800
So $1200/year
Bauer compressor with additional fittings $6000
$6000/$1200=5 years
and we havent even allowed for pumping air at about $2/fill
After 5 years sell the compressor for say $3000

I would say I would be $3000 up

Although the figures are approximate, it clearly shows a significant saving.

I inspect yearly and hydro 3 yearly. I can fill anytime I wish, to a good fill. Even if I break even I love that I can provide my own gas when I want, not dependant on any LDS.

lol I have drooled over compressors for sure. We normally only keep two tanks in hydro unless we have dive company coming. We have discussed compressors and so far the pros haven't quite outweighed the cons for us yet....

Depends on the tank valve. Valves also have a working pressure. In Aus the yoke valves are usually rated to 207bar, whilst DIN 230 or 300bar.

Lets see,10 tanks x $40/year hydro=$400
10 tanks Oxygen cleaned + valves cleaned per year $800
So $1200/year
Bauer compressor with additional fittings $6000
$6000/$1200=5 years
and we havent even allowed for pumping air at about $2/fill
After 5 years sell the compressor for say $3000

I would say I would be $3000 up

Although the figures are approximate, it clearly shows a significant saving.

I inspect yearly and hydro 3 yearly. I can fill anytime I wish, to a good fill. Even if I break even I love that I can provide my own gas when I want, not dependant on any LDS.

How do you calculate your pumping cost at $2? In Mexico air fills cost less than $2 and electricity is very expensive. My filter costs on my small expensive filters come at about 50 cents a fill. Just wonder how you came up with the number?

Its based on double filtration costs. I double filter all my air. Filter medium is reasonably expensive in OZ compared I suspect to Mexico.

LDS Air fills in OZ are in the order of $7-10 depending on where you are.

Depends on the tank valve. Valves also have a working pressure. In Aus the yoke valves are usually rated to 207bar, whilst DIN 230 or 300bar.
Yes which is why we have DINS.... We have two types of DINS. High pressure DINS on the 8L tanks. We have lower pressure DINS on the 10L tanks so if we have diving company with yoke valves we can put in the insert and convert them for them. That means they are lower pressure valves of course.

Back
Top Bottom