Rattles & noise makers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was wondering what methods everyone used to get your buddy's attention underwater for open water dives?

My instructor recommended snapping the slide of the bolt snap sharply or even banging it on my tank. I tried it on my last dive and my buddy could not hear it. Unless we were very close it does not get immediate attention.

As I do mostly OW dives flashing a light probably isn't going to be much help. I used to carry a pointer and that worked very well against the tank. However I've stopped using one since my training with UTD.

I'm thinking of getting an underwater rattle. Now I am expecting usual comments that there is something wrong with situational awareness if I can't get my buddy's attention. However realistically if my buddy stared at me the whole time the dive isn't going to be much fun.

There are times when she's trying to take a closeup shot and I see a blacktip swimming past the horizon. Or she could be looking under a rock and I get problems with some safety issue. So to me a rattle or something to make noise is an essential safety device.

Would like some advice on what to use and where to clip it to, thanks.

Tapping a boltsnap on the side of the tank has always worked for me. Maybe your taps need to be a bit more forceful :)

If you're diving with thick hoods, noisemakers might not be the most effective way of communicating. Although, if diving with thick hoods, the water is usually darker so lights should work well for signaling. What kind of lights do you have? Do they have a tight beam?

Since this is in the DIR forum, I expect that is the type of answer you're looking for.

Communication is done via light signals and hand signals. If you can't communicate with your light, then the beam is not focused enough and you need a different light. If you need to make noise to get your team mate's attention, you're not practicing good awareness.

You don't need to stare at your buddy, but rather incorporate into a running loop of, "How deep am I? Where is the boat? How much gas do I have? Where is my buddy? Oh, look at the fish! Wait, how deep am I?" The cycle repeats a few RPM.

For those rare cases where you've lost your focus and really need to get someone's attention the B&G SPG against the tank makes a hell of a racket...

Tapping a boltsnap on the side of the tank has always worked for me. Maybe your taps need to be a bit more forceful :)

May I know what sized bolt snap you're using? I was using a 1/2".

---------- Post added September 24th, 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

If you're diving with thick hoods, noisemakers might not be the most effective way of communicating. Although, if diving with thick hoods, the water is usually darker so lights should work well for signaling. What kind of lights do you have? Do they have a tight beam?

I'm using the DRIS 1k shorties. I don't have a cannister light.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

Since this is in the DIR forum, I expect that is the type of answer you're looking for.

Communication is done via light signals and hand signals. If you can't communicate with your light, then the beam is not focused enough and you need a different light. If you need to make noise to get your team mate's attention, you're not practicing good awareness.

You don't need to stare at your buddy, but rather incorporate into a running loop of, "How deep am I? Where is the boat? How much gas do I have? Where is my buddy? Oh, look at the fish! Wait, how deep am I?" The cycle repeats a few RPM.

For those rare cases where you've lost your focus and really need to get someone's attention the B&G SPG against the tank makes a hell of a racket...

Thanks.

I'm interested in the last suggestion, do you mean knocking the SPG against the tank? Also, what does B&G mean?

Brass and glass . . . the type of SPG that's recommended. Plastic ones wouldn't make much noise.

Honestly, it can be difficult to get your buddy's attention instantly in clear, sunlit water. Can lights don't work very well, although if you can get the beam into somebody's mask, even obliquely, they may pick it up. I haven't found banging a boltsnap on my tank to do much (but then again, I'm trying to get my HUSBAND's attention). Personally, I've had better luck with screaming.

A good SA scan will prevent things like buddy separation, but it still won't allow you to get your buddy's immediate attention when something fabulous has suddenly appeared. (She says, remembering a pod of dolphins and a manta that swam by us in Maui . . . )

Thanks Lynne. May I know what's the best way you've found to get your buddy's attention?

In turbid water, light signals. In bright water, lights if I have my can light AND I can get enough in front of the other diver to flash the light in his eyes. Otherwise, I scream -- quite literally; it's amazing how much noise you can make with a yell. My husband got my attention with the manta, and I got his with the pod of dolphins, simply by yelling into our regs. You have to dive reasonably close to one another for this to work, but in clear, sunlit water, I WANT to be closer together, because if I need gas, I'm going to have trouble getting the attention of my buddy. Everybody thinks you can range much further apart when you can see a long way, but the opposite is actually true.

Thanks Lynne that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom