RAW converters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Im using LR/Photoshop a lot but keep running into the same problem repeatedly. Namely, with photos involving a significant tint (ie underwater, manual WB or filter photography), the adobe software gives me substantially different looking images with substantially less editing potential than the same file loaded into Canon digital photo pro (and then exported as a TIFF).

Some examples:-

Adobe%20v%20Dpp.JPG

Manual white balance at about 4m depth. No editing on RAW

Adobe%20v%20Dpp%202.JPG

Same as above.

The situation gets worse the deeper i go. Some filter stuff in the 10-16m range is drastically different.

Adobe%20v%20Dpp%203.JPG

20m depth, magic filter

From Lightroom/ACR the white balance slider is imported as this:-

slider.JPG

Its an issue because the original JPG looks good, importing the preview jpg (embedded with RAW) displays as per the camera. Then when its thumbnailed and finished importing the lock to the green with maxed out tint and balance settings.
It means i can do very little or no colour correcting editing in the Adobe products. Canon DPP imports it looking pretty much as per the JPG with full adjustments allowed. Exporting the RAW from DPP as a TIFF then importing that TIFF into lightroom allows full adjustments to be made.

To me it seems as if the Adobe raw engine for Canon is misreading or unable to utilise the full range of data or is importing a setting incorrectly. With strobe lit shot this isn't an issue as there arent the huge tints to deal with.

Ive had this problem with RAWs from various canon compacts (S95, S120) and DSLRs (450d, 550d, 70D) and lots of versions of lightroom (from v4 to CC 2014) and photoshop (from CS onwards) and its a consistent problem.

Its not a picture style issue as ive tried all the various ones of those - its quite simply my manual WB underwater shots appear far greener and tinted in LR with little or no scope for adjusting than in DPP.

Obviously re-exporting all my CR2s as TIFFs from DPP just to import into LR is a fairly annoying extra step editing.

So has anyone else noticed this or can suggest a workaround?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom