Reasons for using aluminum tanks in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In reality it depends more on size than material.
There are 'light versions' of most steel tank sizes.
The total mass of even a heavy 8,5liters is manageable single handedly, up until around 12liter and 80cft size.
Even manipulating the lightest 15liter is no fun at all when competely full or completely empty though.

It's more about the buoyancy than the weight. Steels will be more negative and if one wants to have the possibility to take them off and still be neutral than it will be very heavy in a normal situation. If taking advantage of the steel cylinders to have less lead, then taking them off will leave the diver positive.

So, in the end, it depends on the type of diving, procedures in place and what might be expected to happen.

I saw that video of you diving these 19s and I'm not trying to bash but it looks horrible, ...
Doesn't exacly feel 'good' either - but it works.
For me it works better than with different solutions. I am actually unable to wear a normal backplate comfortably - my back is not that wide.
I think I will not find another way to even try. Everything else already does not fit in the planing stage.

I bought the 19 liter because I needed a working solution for a 100m config fast to prove something in taucher.net, before I was predictably banned in the process.
I had a week to complete the videos and could not get 4 cheap 80cft or 12l steel.
The 19 together with my other existing tanks just fit the profile exactly and came cheap.

I am a bit more controlled now and trust myself to be able to dive them - if I can carry them from the car to the water without breaking my knees.
Those things are horrible. I need them for anything from 35 meters now though, because they are the ideal solution for something like that.
before I often dove 3 tank setups for the gas volume, now I need that at depth a sports diver should not be.

the tanks are way too low and seem very unstable...
The tanks are just way to big for me. There is just not enough there to hang from.
I think it more important they never rise up over my back them them hanging slightly low, that has the additional advantage to leaving more 'legroom'.

the Razor with the single bungee is not suited for heavy tanks.
I depends on your definition of 'heavy'. 6mm takes about 6 kilo negative tanks at maximum strain - 8mm tanks anything, is an unnecessary pain with small tanks however.
But that is the advantage of the single bungee: you could even exchange it during the dive at any depth.

It 'beachballs' pretty badly to,...
I am there to feel good, not be a model for sidemount books or something like that.
The 'beachball' has no negative effect, even in restrictions it simple compresses.

I no nobody using a Razor how uses the wing much, even in a wetsuit.
Sometimes you have 3-5 liters in it. Everything left (17 liters!) is for surface swimming or more than 2 tanks.

as most of the razor copies do.
Homemade style systems do.
Commercial system try to avoid that.
Systems like the Stealth Tec wing actually turn it upside down making it a severe weakness avoiding the dreaded 'beachball'-image.

Avoiding something that has no negative effect...exactly why???

I addition to that, most harness system don't have a proper weight system.
Some don't have any, or to small ones.
But Stealth, Diamond, Ratatosk, Manta, Hollis, .... all good modern systems have one as an option at least today.

The Razor just has a bit of webbing, not really comfortable if you have to strap 10 kg/22bls plus onto your back.
Wearing 15kilos at the moment. And since that's only temporary for a few weeks the way it is attached is not very well set up.
But when I wear the wing there isn't any problem, I do not even use the provided neopren wrap.

The Razor weight system is quite ingenious, very flexible, exedingly cheap to replace and almost impossible to damage anyway.
I personally would add it to any future system I use as an option for a lot of weight and for travel.
If HP thought there was need for a 'more advanced' system, I am sure he would have released one by now.
But the Razor is only changed reluctantly and carefully, since it works perfectly as it is.

Last edited:
...Steels will be more negative and if one wants to have the possibility to take them off and still be neutral than it will be very heavy in a normal situation.
That really depends in my opinion.
7liters and 40cft in particular are so light empty you do not really want to handle them much. In salt water, they will go up even ab bit less then half-empty.

A full 80cft aluminum stage is quite heavy, not much heavier than many 10 liter steel for example.
Many 8 liters handle much better as stages then the big aluminums, especially when already used a third.

If taking advantage of the steel cylinders to have less lead, then taking them off will leave the diver positive.
That's another reason why some think aluminums preferable after needing less weight with more experience, yes.

So, in the end, it depends on the type of diving, procedures in place and what might be expected to happen.
Quite true

Ok, that's a sore point with me. personally I think the SMS100 sucks at anything but lying around in a shop.
Have to agree with that one... (even if people claim it's amazing etc. I haven't seen it look good yet)

But there are still people using it, very successfully sometimes.

The tanks ate just way to big for me. There is just not enough there to hang from.
No true. Lots of people already told you but you never listen. The single bungee is total crap for steel tanks. The tanks hang too low and are too far in front, it doesn't have anything to do with your size. If you would be willing to take a course or take advice, you could rig those tanks much better.

Regarding the Razor there was always talk about a different wing.
Some wanted a larger one with a reduced beachball effect.
Some wanted a smaller one.

But if everyone feels like me there it would be quite hard to buy a new one.
I love the one I have and it works perfectly everywhere already.

No true. Lots of people already told you but you never listen.
I listen, but I always try myself and than I know :wink:

The single bungee is total crap for steel tanks.
Not true.
thin/weak bungee is.

The tanks hang too low and are too far in front, it doesn't have anything to do with your size.
That's personal style my friend. :wink:
They ride along exactly in the position I want them.
I want perfect control, I want optimal streamlining, got both as far as possible with those monstrosities.

If you would be willing to take a course or take advice,
Course with whom?
I have been asked to be an instructor for sidemount since my 10th dive exactly (and I looked like a ... don't have a suitable word for it... then).
I have 'trained' a lot of people for a dive or two that are instructors now or have been at the time already.

HP has cave diving lessons for me that I am unable to afford. :(
But there is no-one to go to for additional training after a basics course with HP except sidemount instructors I personally knew as backmount divers when I was already 'experienced'.

you could rig those tanks much better.
Probably. But why should I want 'better'? when it feels ok, streamling is optimal and it also looks ok?

When I dive those tanks I am with backmount divers most of the time.
I am the most maneuverable in the group without the slightest effort, why worry about it? :wink:

Last edited:
Please spare me your blind razor-fanboy BS. All this is nonsense.

...when I was already 'experienced'.
You are not experienced. You don't even know how to rig SM tanks and why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom