Recent Reef House Resort Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry if this has been asked way too many times on this board, but after searching and reading all the threads, I'm left with the same question...

I'm trying to plan a trip to Roatan early next year and in looking at what we desire in a dive vacation (quiet smaller resort, good dive operation, short boat trips for dives, unlimited but decent shore diving on our own, AI, nitrox), I came across Reef House Resort. It seems to tick all of our boxes, but I had a hard time finding recent reviews on SB (Tripadvisor reviews were good, but I put more faith in divers' opinions here).

So has anyone been to Reef House Resort lately for a dive trip and would you recommend it?

RHR is a neat little property worthy of consideration, but don't put much stock in TA while researching dive resorts, certainly not in Roatan. On TA, if it isn't a day dive op on West End, it simply doesn't exist.

In in a very good way, RHR has the feel of an original Caribbean Dive Resort which has all but evaporated by this day. It's all about the diving, not much else. I think that's a good thing.

There is a viable shore dive that I have enjoyed quite a few times, although I have never slept overnight on property. It is somewhat dependent upon wind and wave, but other than CoCoView, it's the #2 currently accessible shore dive on Roatan. RHR seems to have a nice presentation of meals for the few that I've sampled. The character of the place...its compact and gives you the feeling of being right there in the ocean shore. I'm crippled up, so the small boats really don't work for me, good for most everyone else, tho. Well trained DMs in every way, and located on what I believe is the most unique diving on Roatan, likely the Caribbean.

That said, I've seen numerous posts from a new "contributor" on SB, and this one really hit some caveats I would highlight....

Hi, we have one review from a couple which spent 2 weeks in RHR, dated March 25, 2015. It seems this resort meets most of your expectations. Hope it may help. Here you can find It....

More third party marketing foolishness. The "report" Divebooger references was merely block copied verbatim from TwitAdvisor dated May 2012. Google knows all, forgets nothing.

Infering that their client provided this report by saying "we have one review from a couple" is a peculiarly tortured statement. What caught my eye was the reference to RHR manager named Mike, a capable man but who left the property two+ years ago... Long before the supposed 2015 report date. (TwitAdvisor is not good at much other than reselling vacations, properties and trips- disseminating blogged information is not their real purpose, so you can bet your bottom Ruble the they have a staff of copyright attorneys who will now have to travel to the Ukraine, Miss Elena)

If you select this great Roatan option, book direct, not with a third party who is absolutely unaware of the property.

Edit to add... I see that the "March 2015 review" has just magically disappeared from DiveBooker, but like I said, The Googles Never Forget....
Picture%2081.png

Last edited:
There is a viable shore dive that I have enjoyed quite a few times, although I have never slept overnight on property. It is somewhat dependent upon wind and wave, but other than CoCoView, it's the #2 currently accessible shore dive on Roatan.

My assumption was that wind and wave would be minimized based on it's location on the island, but obviously having never been there, I don't really know. With that said, we are certainly up for a little wind and wave to enjoy some alone diving on our own schedule (if the dock is closed or it's not suggested then it's not a problem sitting it out either). In Cayman we usually pack 22-25 dives in for the week, so the 3-a-day plus some afternoon/night shore dives when available would fit our style nicely. Thanks for the input.

My assumption was that wind and wave would be minimized based on it's location on the island, but obviously having never been there, I don't really know.

A good question (maybe unintended?) with no one particular easy answer.

1) The Southern side of Roatan is indeed the Windward side. This means, when weather is "normal", there is usually a fair breeze presented from the ESE. This has one big benefit advantage- less bugs than other West/North. Expect a constant .3 - .6M running wave structure. When theses Windward size breezes pipe-up to the 15+mph range, RHR shore entry suffers because of the shallow sloping nature of the near-in reef structure. This generates waves and surf, this is the true use and definition of the word "ground swell", an oft used and misunderstood term.

One other viable shore dive, although not well known, is the access of of the front of Media Luna Resort, but it can suffer from the same shallow sloping reef- creating occasional groundswell. (You will see this groundswell in a much limited quantity at CCV as local offshore the walls are close-in, dead vertical and start very shallow)

Even if these wind/wave conditions present at RHR, a good night dive can still be made within the confines of the concrete breakwalls fronting RHR. It might not look like much, but lots of critters lurking around there when the outside wall areas are rough. Lemons? Make lemonade.

In furtherance of the shore dive discussion on Roatan, there really isn't much else to select from. Any others mentioned have a number of "if/but" permutations that push them firmly into the "theoretical shore dive" category. These include Spooky Channel, AKR and Barefoot. Fantasy has a nice shore dive, but the resort is deep in an ongoing downslide.

2) When storm weather hits, that comes from the North and wipes out diving on the North and West. This becomes a consideration October until March when tropical storms and "Northers" are common.

3) Most divers visiting Roatan do not come to actually log 3 a day plus a night dive each night , 22-27 a week? It is unusual. Most SB divers come and do 2 or 3 a day maximum, on TA Forums the numbers seem to run 5-7 per week in total. If you want that quantity, by default, you're headed to RHR or CCV for that 22-30 in a week. In that regard, a shore dive access is usually a requirement, and again- CCV and RHR are simple stand outs above all other options, so to that extent, you are limited in your options.

The bulk of diving visitors, by far, come to West End for the day-dive ops, so general awareness of the South and in particular the tiny RHR is very limited by comparison. You will find on SB quite a preponderance of South side divers, bringing reportage up to a par with West End ops, unlike Trip Advisor (which believes that Dragons lie East of the Cruise Ship Circus). There is, still, a distinct gap in awareness and breadth of visitor experience.

For such a small island, it sure is a big place.

Doc,

I am the author of the RHR review, And actually found it by searching TA. I use TA, especially the forums, when planning our trips. Mr. Eugene Bessonov, CEO of Divebooker contacted me today to find out if in fact I had posted it to his site. I just sent him this email.

"I am the author of the review on Tripadvisor. My husband has an account at your site, and while he cannot remember doing so, believes he must have reposted the review. I wrote the review in 2012. It is unfortunate that someone reading the review, thought it was written in 2015, I am assuming your website automatically adds postings dates like most, and therein lies the source of the confusion. My husband and I loved the time we spent at RHR and hope that your clients would have the same experience.

We will post this message on Scubaboard in hopes that it clarifies the matter."

I have been a scubaboard lurker for years, so thanks for giving me a reason to sign up and become a legit member
:D

Last edited:
Mrs. Stoo and I booked a last minute trip there last Christmas. Our report is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...house-resort-roatan.html?highlight=Reef+House

Ten months later, we are temporarily beached with Mrs. Stoo earning a busted leg while diving in Quebec, but we have time to ponder next trips. When the subject of Reef House came up, it got a thumbs up, but always with the addendum of the low price. I think we paid $800 for the week each (last minute deal) vs say $1975 or $2300 at the places we have been going lately. The diving is ok only, but that's comparing it to Turneffe Atoll and Little Cayman.

Would we return? Yes! In fact with the demise of the Canuck Peso, it looks more attractive all the time.

The lodge itself is nice enough... basic and free of frills, but clean and well maintained. The bar is fun with a mix of guests, ex-pats and locals. And cheap. Food was basic but ok, and decidedly "local" for the most part. If you like riceandbeans, you'll be pleased. Perhaps not so if you are a "foodie".

The neighborhood across the bay is certainly Third World and filthy. The one thing about our previous trip that we'll never forget, is the post-storm plastic field... Not cool at all... Read my Trip Report.

The dive staff was awesome and I have nothing but praise for Choco and Davit. Great guys!

Feel free to ask or PM me with questions!

Last edited:
RHR has been my favorite budget destination on Roatan for several years, but during my last trip in July I found that the bar and social area is now opened up for the local ex-pat crowd every afternoon and evening. It's not the quiet place it used to be.

RHR has been my favorite budget destination on Roatan for several years, but during my last trip in July I found that the bar and social area is now opened up for the local ex-pat crowd every afternoon and evening. It's not the quiet place it used to be.
Well, we're booked for early next year, so hopefully that's not too much of an issue. We like "resort quiet" but for us and the amount we dive, it's always quiet under the surface. We may bring ear plugs just to be safe though. How was the diving?

Well, we're booked for early next year, so hopefully that's not too much of an issue. We like "resort quiet" but for us and the amount we dive, it's always quiet under the surface. We may bring ear plugs just to be safe though. How was the diving?

Sorry to take so long to get back, but cold water diving, and life stuff happened.

My latest trip in July the trades were very strong the entire week and the shallows were pretty much blown out. Once we dropped over the walls, it usually opened up but only a couple of dives were what I'm accustomed to. Of my numerous trips (10-ish) to dive Roatan this was the first time I was (mildly) disappointed by the diving, but I've been diving long enough to know that occasionally nature doesn't cooperate. That will not stop me from going back to the island.

If you search my name in this portion of the form you should see my previous comments on most if not all aspects of RHR.

Back
Top Bottom