Recommendations For Pony Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? Care to clarify about Hollis regs? Your statement contradicts just about every review you can find about the DC/212 series regs.

I paid a total of $190 for my reg set new. $150 for a yoke DC3 and 212. Bought the DIN conversion kit for $40 and had the seller swap the braided hose for a rubber hose at no charge. So for under $200 I have a new reg set for my pony. I also have the DC1 and 212 as my primary. $239 is still a pretty sweet deal, IMO. My LDS services Hollis regs and the parts are free. How could anyone go wrong with that.

I researched this well for some time and did not find another reg set of equal quality and value. I'd love to see some links of quality reg sets for cheaper.

Edit: I'll also add I personally like the overbalanced first stage on the Hollis regs that allow for more air to flow to the diver, especially in theory when you're a stressed diver going to your pony and may be breathing harder and faster. Of course that does increase the potential for free flow, but I've found leaving the reg set on predive is sufficient for preventng that from happening.

I have owned Hollis, DC2/212 to be exact. There is nothing wrong with Hollis performance. Any modern reg tuned properly will perform well. You got a good deal, you like the reg, it is all that matters.

As for the overbalanced thing, it is actually not an intended design feature. Instead, a design shortcoming, that can NOT balance the IP properly with depth, so IP increases as depth increases. Other manufactures with similar design just keep quiet, some manufactures decided to make it a "feature". And no, It doesn't delivery more air. It doesn't do anything good.

I've gone to using Dive Rite's set up for ponies and stages. I think they go for about $200.

O2-Deco-Regulator_RG5400_Front-View-600x600.jpg

James. Its an older thread but you might find it interesting...

Balanced VS Over-Balanced Regulators

Yes, I've read that thread before. But my first thought was, if it was a design flaw that would mean at least three different companies not only screwed up and made the same mistake, but also continue to manufacture the same design. What are the chances? Perhaps it's true, but I also read a thread back in 2007, that someone "suggested maybe" it was a design flaw.... And we all know that's how rumors and misinformation are born. Again, maybe it's true. But....

No not a mistake, it is a design limitation, which may not matter in practice, but it is NOT a feature is what we are trying to say. Every design can be improved, the matter is whether it is worth to do the improvement. Obviously, these manufactures don't find the necessity. And I don't believer the users find issues in real life. If there is a way to flip a switch and turn of theh "over balanced", they will sure do. This delievers more air is a marketing scheme.

Some Apeks has the same limitation, SP balanced piston does NOT have the this limitation. SP MK17 has a different limitation, it doesn't perfectly balance across tank pressure.

Since it is a pony, it is only used when you need an alternate air source....so this is about as small as it gets for a first stage (combined valve and first stage), but it is a pain to fill.....but you only need to do that once per trip. Put any second stage on it, pretty much anything will work for you, special features not needed. Example. No need to spend big bucks for really top-notch gear. If all goes well, it will NEVER get used. Just keep it clean and maintained.
That's pretty cool. Do you have one? I can't tell if that ad says it comes with a guage or just has an HP port that will accommodate one. If you've got one, how does it breathe at say 100'? I've already got a spare second or two in my SAD bag, this might make a nice addition to my collection.

I've gone to using Dive Rite's set up for ponies and stages. I think they go for about $200.

That looks just like my diverite O2 deco reg. It clearly said on the packaging it had a depth limit of like 20'. Maybe that's just because it's intended for O2. Have you used it deeper?

Is Navy Seal Mil Spec good enough for you? It is good enough for me.

Isn't it the Navy that blamed the Apeks XTX50 (otherwise known as top top top end of the regulators on the market) for the deaths of 2 of their divers a while ago? See here.

In other words, I wouldn't think anything of what the Navy thinks of my regs. Sure, I like their deco/physiology stuff, but that's about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom