Regulator & BC storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgnau

Registered
Reaction score
:( For me the dive season is over. Are there any special things that I need to do in storing my equipment. My main concern is my regulator and BC. I would hate to pull this stuff out next year and find I stored incorrectly.

Not 100% sure on this - but I think your manual should have storage recommendations and cleaning instructions.
Typically I think you just want to rinse out the bladder of the BC with some sort of disinfectant, and do the same with the reg mouthpieces. Before you go diving next season have your LDS service them.
You may want to check the Gear section of the board for more info.

Mgnau once bubbled...
:( For me the dive season is over. Are there any special things that I need to do in storing my equipment. My main concern is my regulator and BC. I would hate to pull this stuff out next year and find I stored incorrectly.

For the BCD, I'd recommend a thorough fresh-water rinse for the outside. Rinse the inside of the bladder with fresh water and drain completely. There's a conditioner you can purchase for the inside as well if you choose ... follow the instructions on the label. I also know people who swear that Listerine or some other form of antiseptic mouthwash will achieve the same purpose (to keep the inside of the bladder from turning into a science experiment). But the important thing I'd recommend is to leave the bladder partly inflated (so the insides don't stick together) and hang it up till the next time you need it. Also, don't store your dive gear too close to a furnace or hot water heater ... those produce ozone, and that tends to break down some materials commonly used for scuba gear. If you're storing it in a garage, keep it a good 15 feet or so from those appliances. Also, don't store it somewhere there's gas fumes (like next to your lawn mower) for the same reason.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You may wish to store 'em in plastic bags, regardless of what else you do.

You can hang it up with one of these BCD/Regulator hangers. It will accept both the yolk or din style connectors. You can pick them up for around $8 or so.

Also,

If you're cheap like me, you can take three quarter inch plastic hangers, tape them together side by side, and you have a BC/Regulator hanger..........Cost: about $0.50.

I keep my (clean, dry) reg coiled up and hanging on a peg, is that bad to hang it like that by the hoses? They seem fine, and when I get it checked out, the hoses are always good, but I sometimes wonder about it.

My buddy does that with his, he has a shelf bracket on the wall where he hangs his BCD on a hanger and his regs coiled up and looped on the bracket, doesn't seem to do them any harm.
Me I hang my BC, drysuit and wetsuit together and I have bought a small plastic unit with four drawers for my kit. It cost about £15 and has two deep drawers with all my little carry bags in one, and my regs and masks in the other, the two shallower drawers are perfect for my hood, gloves, ankle weights and all those other little things like computer, compass etc. All my kit together in one small unit which takes up minimum space in the house and looks neat and tidy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom