Rental Reg Disinfectant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the mouthpiece is dry then its clean. You really aren't going to catch anything off a reg mouthpiece.

If you're utterly paranoid then dettol or take your own mouthpieces (and cable ties as the dive centre will want theirs put back on afterwards).

Tequila? :idk:

I think everyone has already covered the options I would go for.

I would second Awap's statements regarding her own reg. From a website of a local LDS, they were showing the kind of crud that can be found inside un-maintained 2nd stages. Gunk! I've thrown-up in my own regs a couple of times, so I can imagine that others would as well (although I take them apart to clean afterwards - easily removable faceplate). The problem with just bringing a mouthpiece is that different regs sometimes have different mouthpiece sizes. Apeks regs use a large mouthpiece, while other brands use a smaller one. Buying just a 2nd stage would mean having to tune it to the particular rental reg you have.

Otherwise, I guess you could flush it out completely and use listerine.

You could just swish them around well in salt water, on the theory that the salinity will kill most or all of what can hurt you. Same theory for chlorinated pool water. In fresh water, I swish real well, hoping for a dilution effect.

I've never seen a documented case of anyone catching something from a scuba regulator.

I dove with a guy a couple years ago who rented everything except that he carried his own second stage regulator. He just unscrewed the rental second stage from the hose and installed his.

You can also you Sink the Stink. It works great on neoprene and disinfecting mouth pieces. Changing the mouth piece isn't a bad option, however, if the last person puked in the reg (which I have seen) a new mouth piece isn't going to do much for you. Therefore, owning her own is the best option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom